RIght hand re-train

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
cn90

Re: RIght hand re-train

Post by cn90 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:55 pm

zinc1024 wrote:The shot of Williams is sick, for the simple reason that it's a clear contradiction: "it's wrong to do that" and "here's Williams caught doing it, so how wrong can it be?". However, we know it's an anomaly, right? We can watch hours of Williams playing and we'll rarely see his pinky extended like this, I believe.

In my instructor's language, what Williams is caught doing there is not "industry standard" at this point in time. It's an indication of unnecessary tension and extraneous finger motion.
Actually, JW picture was taken strictly for that CD album cover with no intentiotn on correct positioning: guitar on Right thigh, RH pinky sticking out a bit (he did not intend to do that). Just watch JW on youtube, RH pinky does not stick out.

ramsnake

Post by ramsnake » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Sorry guys but watch the little finger! :)
Note that at times it is quite straight and clearly projecting from beneath the other fingers.
[media]https://youtu.be/oPfZVflJdp0[/media]

zinc1024

Post by zinc1024 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:12 pm

Huh...so I guess you don't have to watch William's for hours to see him stick out his RH pinky, do you?! A few minutes and he's caught in act.

This is particularly topical for me, as my instructor just last night suggested I watch William's Sevilla concert video to see his "perfect RH". Whoops! I've sent him the link, just for fun, thanks Snake.

Just goes to show that none of us are perfect, even the Masters. And it probably argues that if it's not constant or frequent, it's probably a non-issue, if everything else is right.

Unfortunately for me, while not constant, it's certainly still a lingering issue, particularly later in pieces as I tire and in general anytime I'm playing without some focus on RH position. I'm now accepting that getting my RH "naturalized" to the right position in all regards and at all times is a 6-12 month continuous effort (and I do mean continuous, the moment I stop focusing on it in every practice session I backslide).

-k

ramsnake

Post by ramsnake » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:37 am

Well his RH is excellent, as you can see from his facility with it, and as I have mentioned earlier in this post, as long as it is not causing your RH to close up significantly internally and creating tension, it is not such an issue as you may have been led to believe.
The existence of this tendency does not mean that the hand cannot do the job required of it in every situation.
It is still well worth your time to closely observe his RH technique keeping in my mind that you have a different anatomy and in the end you have to resolve the issues for yourself and yes it does take time probably longer than the 6-12 month period you have mentioned.
I think it took me 10 years to establish my posture and technique and of course it still develops to this day although I do not play classical guitar nearly as much as I used to once.
Perfect is never a word I like to use preferring the term excellence! :)
Persevere my friend and you will be richly rewarded! :D

EricSymons

Post by EricSymons » Thu May 28, 2009 7:53 am

Great topic Kevin:

The little finger raised is intially a problem when the small group muscles in the right hand have not developed the strength to act independantly. We evolved grapsing for branches and trees.

A cheap trick is really simple to act as a band-aid: Use a rubber band on the "a" and little finger to start. The little finger will relax then.

The most important step taught to me from by Maestro Angel Romero was to start my hand position with a fist, then place the right hand with my thumb joint placed between the third and fourth strings, then open the thumb to rest the thumb nail on the sixth string. Follow-up with placing the index finger on the third string, while still resting the thumb as it was on the sixth. Follow with the middle finger on the second string, and annular on the first while still resting the previous thumb and index finger. This is a snapshot of YOUR perfect hand position.

This will tell you the best angle of attack too. The fingers, if not hyper-extended, should be able to strike the string easily in a pendulum motion with either apoyando or ligero strokes. Celedonio Romero always told me the fingers at this point look a little like the letter "C".

Good luck!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”