Back Pain

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
AussieGuitarist

Back Pain

Post by AussieGuitarist » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:02 pm

Pretty self explanatory, I've had this for several years now, I sometimes notice in guitar playing, in fact, what's odd is it hurts more when I sit up straight as opposed to slouching. I've started to get a bit worried. I saw a (what could best be described as "airy" living in another world person) who thought it came from my right and left hand technique and he wanted to completely transform it. I however do not want to as it is not technically restricting in the slightest, the tone's good and it feels tension free. Are there any good websites on this?

LFP

Re: Back Pain

Post by LFP » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:36 pm

AussieGuitarist wrote:Pretty self explanatory, Are there any good websites on this?
Not too sure about my memory, perhaps Delcamp??? ....Yep I think that's the name.

owl

Post by owl » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:05 pm

LFP wrote:
AussieGuitarist wrote:Pretty self explanatory, Are there any good websites on this?
Not too sure about my memory, perhaps Delcamp??? ....Yep I think that's the name.
LOL :lol:

LFP is right... if you do a search you will pull up heaps of info!

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:20 pm

AussieGuitarist, you didn't say, but if you are using a footstool, you might want to look into alternatives (there have been numerous discussions of "guitar supports" here). Playing with one foot raised puts your spine into an unnatural alignment that causes back pain for a lot of people.

AussieGuitarist

Post by AussieGuitarist » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:54 pm

thanks guys, sorry bit dim for not thinking to search first, funny you should talk about the guitar rest, I used to use one and converted to a foot stool and it seemed to help.

ramsnake

Post by ramsnake » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:22 pm

AussieGuitarist wrote:thanks guys, sorry bit dim for not thinking to search first, funny you should talk about the guitar rest, I used to use one and converted to a foot stool and it seemed to help.
Now that's what I like to hear! :wink:

jlamay

Post by jlamay » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:59 am

I use an a frame support and ot helps me

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:00 pm

I use the Gitano support, and it is excellent. Let's you plant both feet firmly on the ground. And you never have to take the support off when putting the guitar in it's case. :wink:

arran1810

Post by arran1810 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:24 pm

I have had back pain from playing. I have gotten rid of the footstool and now use an Ergoplay support and The Guitar Chair. Both of these help immensely.

I also do some simple back stretches, like trying to touch my toes, even if I can't quite reach them; and some simple exercises like sit-ups or crunches. These help strengthen and stabilize the back. You don't have to become an Olympic athlete, but even a little bit of these things can be a great help in reducing or eliminating back pain.

Chris Davis

Post by Chris Davis » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:46 am

arran1810 wrote: I also do some simple back stretches, like trying to touch my toes, even if I can't quite reach them; and some simple exercises like sit-ups or crunches. These help strengthen and stabilize the back. You don't have to become an Olympic athlete, but even a little bit of these things can be a great help in reducing or eliminating back pain.
Things like dead bugs and reverse crunches maybe, but doing crunches and back stretches is probably not a great idea. But if it helps, it helps.

OP, it really depends on your postural deficiencies. Low back pain can be a result of a lot of things not even related to your back. I have knee issues sometimes that largely disappear when I do self myofacial release on my calves, hamstrings and glutes.

If you really do want to have better posture, your best bet is to find a solid weight training program that includes a lot of upper back strengthening (upper body pulling) and squats/deadlifts.

rhilapse

Post by rhilapse » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:33 am

Aussieguitarist,
perhaps why you are experiencing back pain when you sit up straight is because your body is not accustomed to this particular alignment - have you been slouching for a number of years?
Of course it would be hard to pinpoint the cause without having first taken into account what circumstances you are in (ie, if anything other than guitar playing has contributed to your back pain?)
Try doing some stretches - lie on your back, bend both legs, place one leg over the other s it forms a 90 degree angle, and hold the leg touching the ground with both hands just above the kneecap. I have found this very theraputic and it has even improved my overall posture - I feel much more supple!
Good luck with it.

dodz

Post by dodz » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:09 pm

you may want to investigate the alexander technique.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:35 pm

AussieGuitarist wrote:Pretty self explanatory, I've had this for several years now, I sometimes notice in guitar playing, in fact, what's odd is it hurts more when I sit up straight as opposed to slouching. I've started to get a bit worried. I saw a (what could best be described as "airy" living in another world person) who thought it came from my right and left hand technique and he wanted to completely transform it. I however do not want to as it is not technically restricting in the slightest, the tone's good and it feels tension free. Are there any good websites on this?
Forgive me for asking but how do you know you are slouching? If you are experiencing pain when you sit up straight it may be that you are over arching your back and using a very stiff posture. What feels like slouching can actually be a perfectly good posture, your perception of what feels correct may not necessarily be right. It's usually better if someone else looks at you alignment whilst you are playing - preferrably someone who is familiar with the guitar and posture issues.
Historicalguitars.

dkpwv

Post by dkpwv » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:02 pm

I perform yoga every morning to keep limber. Try your hand at the Sun Salutations. It is a series of moves that put the spine through its complete range of motion. Just an idea. Toe touches and ab crunches, at the least, will improve your posture and spinal strength and flexibility.

AussieGuitarist

Post by AussieGuitarist » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:45 am

Wow, thank you so much for the helpful advice everyone! I think I've worked out why my back got worse, and it's getting better, it was a lack of exercise I think. I tore my meniscus (cartilage type stuff in your knee), this put me out of a normally, fairly rigorous sporting routine. That and I've always had very tight hamstrings. Anyway thank you for all the help, every post has been appreciated and they all have very useful stuff so :merci: :merci: :merci:

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”