Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
AndreiKrylov

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by AndreiKrylov » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:40 pm

GEO wrote:The Norwegian guitarist Anders Clemens Oien uses the RH pinky. You can see his technique on his DVD "Guitar Recital Live", produced by guitarmania. His RH position definitely is altered to accommodate the pinky. I didn't realize at first that he was using the pinky and I wondered why his was playing with that sort of RH position--until I looked more closely. :roll:

geo
Thanks geo! I'll try to find this video

Harry Kiesel

Post by Harry Kiesel » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:11 pm

My little finger is easily 2 1/2 cm shorter than the rest. I've tried using it but the way I have to angle my wrist prevents it. I suppose if the little finger isn't too much different in length this might work.

Does Postlewate (?sp) suggest that everyone should be able to use the pinky?

quafffy

Post by quafffy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:42 pm

My pinky is also about 2.5cm shorter than my ring finger. Not sure if my pinky is short or if my ring finger is long. I also find using it really awkward...

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Video with me playing a lot of harmonics by pinky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI1SmWOErYs

jack_gvr

Post by jack_gvr » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:03 pm

Harry Kiesel wrote:My little finger is easily 2 1/2 cm shorter than the rest. I've tried using it but the way I have to angle my wrist prevents it. I suppose if the little finger isn't too much different in length this might work.
Whereas my pinky is only 1.7 c. shorter than my "a".
Harry Kiesel wrote:Does Postlewate (?sp) suggest that everyone should be able to use the pinky?
Well, dunno, really, the jury is out. As many people have done, I can point out that any pianist who didn't use one or the other pinky would be laughed out of the conservatory, and the same goes for any guitar player not using the left pinky. I have used it since I started playing in 1969, so naturally I don't really get what the problem is... the position is altered ever so slightly in the same way that it was radically altered from Sor's position in order to allow use of the ring finger. The right hand must be curved and relaxed in such a way that all four fingers can sit comfortably side by side on the high e string, touching each other. The longer fingers are curved more. If you are one of these people who play with the index and middle fingers sticking out straight, then of course the pinky will be two inches awoy from the strings.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:51 pm

I still use my little finger :)

Sean

Post by Sean » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:47 am

I've forgotten about this idea, but started today with working on adding some scalework with the pinky.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:37 pm

Great! It will be interesting to see results! When I had trauma and my (a) finger did not work I replaced it with little finger, then I did play some scale like solos, now I play arpeggios with it, some solos, tremolo, and artificial harmonics.

Sean

Post by Sean » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm using Villa-Lobos etude 1 as a practice tool to use the pinky in argpeggios. I've fooled around with some scale passages - even p-c and c-p (quite awkward at the moment). I am seeing a more balanced right hand - the pinky isn't as tense as before.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks Sean! That's very good point - more work for pinky - more balanced right hand as a whole! When pinky is working, then all extra part of right hand is working too (muscles etc) and it is help to a finger and other fingers. :)

Sean

Post by Sean » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:56 pm

I can see a large improvement in the RH 'a' finger's performance already.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:17 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:Thanks Sean! That's very good point - more work for pinky - more balanced right hand as a whole! When pinky is working, then all extra part of right hand is working too (muscles etc) and it is help to a finger and other fingers. :)
Ive seen your videos around for quite some time.

The question is, why have you not gotten around to getting a good classical tone yet?

The tone you get is fine for playing Micheal Hedges covers, but your classical tone is horrible. You're just very
messy in general.

Shouldnt you start addressing that at some point? I think ist wise to get a handle on your own right hand technique before you go trying to be a teacher. Its a bit irresponsible.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:50 pm

This is topic about little finger. Not about me. I play what I like and how I like it. I don't teach anybody here. You think that you don't need your little finger ? -cut it off then. Don't use it. Do whatever you like. I just give an idea to people and share my experience. You don't like my tone? You don't like my music?
OK - No problem. My videos? They made with notebook camera... Don't watch them. I never gave any lessons by video anyway.
Please write about little finger. If you want to make personal attacks - then I think it should not belong to this subject.

lament

Post by lament » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:25 am

I don't understand the idea of not using the pinky. It's there, why wouldn't you use it? For one, how else would you play a five-note chord?

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:37 am

lament wrote:I don't understand the idea of not using the pinky. It's there, why wouldn't you use it? For one, how else would you play a five-note chord?
Thanks Lament! Yes - why not? It is one of the most important fingers on left hand, therefore it could be developed on right too. :)

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”