Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
AndreiKrylov

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by AndreiKrylov » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:15 pm

barry haywood wrote:What an interesting concept.
I've been using my pinky for rasguedo and - very rarely - for 6 string arpeggios. Now I can look into a wider use.

Thanks Andrei, I always felt I had too few fingers on my right hand :wink:
You're welcome!
Yes try to use it in appropriate arpeggios, play melody with it, harmonics, etc. :)

MartinLudenhoff

Post by MartinLudenhoff » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:47 am

Why it is a good idea to use right little finger while playing classical guitar:

[media]https://youtu.be/xSaJ5vw5nBE[/media]
In this video I merely demonstrate how to use the right little finger. You don't need to imitate an exaggerated way in which I move my fingers ;-).
Imagine a pianist using five fingers in the left hand and only four in the right. The little finger of the right hand would be lifted up all the time and doing nothing – a completely crazy idea. We do a similar thing on guitar, in that we are using practically all the five fingers of the left hand, but only four fingers in the right hand. Start working with the little finger just as with the other fingers, and you will achieve much more virtuosity very soon and a brilliant technique.
A Conversation with Stepan Rak

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:18 pm

Nice video! Thanks Martin!
I thought that I almost alone doing it...
But I gave up on promoting it because majority of guitar players reject or afraid of this technique...
MartinLudenhoff wrote:Why it is a good idea to use right little finger while playing classical guitar:

[media]https://youtu.be/xSaJ5vw5nBE[/media]
In this video I merely demonstrate how to use the right little finger. You don't need to imitate an exaggerated way in which I move my fingers ;-).
Imagine a pianist using five fingers in the left hand and only four in the right. The little finger of the right hand would be lifted up all the time and doing nothing – a completely crazy idea. We do a similar thing on guitar, in that we are using practically all the five fingers of the left hand, but only four fingers in the right hand. Start working with the little finger just as with the other fingers, and you will achieve much more virtuosity very soon and a brilliant technique.
A Conversation with Stepan Rak

MartinLudenhoff

Post by MartinLudenhoff » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:05 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:I thought that I almost alone doing it...
Stepan Rak and Charles Postlewate with us! :mrgreen:

MartinLudenhoff

Post by MartinLudenhoff » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:42 pm

Joseph Ehrenpreis

Post by Joseph Ehrenpreis » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:12 am

I have been considering integrating the "c" finger into the villa lobos etudes. Some of them work very nicely. I have noticed it is very difficult to separate the motion between "a" and "c"

MartinLudenhoff

Post by MartinLudenhoff » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:30 am

Joseph Ehrenpreis wrote:I have noticed it is very difficult to separate the motion between "a" and "c"
Yes, you need every day to play arpeggios with little finger. We'll have to very persevere to make it a natural (at least several months).

Joseph Ehrenpreis

Post by Joseph Ehrenpreis » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:24 am

MartinLudenhoff wrote:
Joseph Ehrenpreis wrote:I have noticed it is very difficult to separate the motion between "a" and "c"
Yes, you need every day to play arpeggios with little finger. We'll have to very persevere to make it a natural (at least several months).

Any advice? I'm very interested in trying to achieve this before college.

MartinLudenhoff

Post by MartinLudenhoff » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:35 am

Joseph Ehrenpreis wrote:Any advice? I'm very interested in trying to achieve this before college.
My recipe is simple: arpeggios with his little finger every day, and a lot of patience. If you do not play with the little finger "from birth", it will be a very long time weaker than the other fingers, and it is absolutely normal. IMHO.

Joseph Ehrenpreis

Post by Joseph Ehrenpreis » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:25 pm

MartinLudenhoff wrote:
Joseph Ehrenpreis wrote:Any advice? I'm very interested in trying to achieve this before college.
My recipe is simple: arpeggios with his little finger every day, and a lot of patience. If you do not play with the little finger "from birth", it will be a very long time weaker than the other fingers, and it is absolutely normal. IMHO.

I think I shall relearn Villa Lobos etude 1 with the "c" finger.

Another question, nail shape? It's pretty difficult to shape this nail since it is at a different angle than my other fingers. I don't play segovia style, I try to emulate a kanengiser right hand

MartinLudenhoff

Post by MartinLudenhoff » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Joseph Ehrenpreis wrote:I think I shall relearn Villa Lobos etude 1 with the "c" finger.
I started playing with his little finger with a prelude c-dur (Das wohltemperierte Klavier). There are exactly five voices for five fingers.

MartinLudenhoff

Post by MartinLudenhoff » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:43 am

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:03 pm

MartinLudenhoff wrote:Ludenhoff, Martin; Surf Noise (etude) - Video (forum topic).
Thanks for your efforts, Martin!

MartinLudenhoff

Post by MartinLudenhoff » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:44 am

Artificial harmonics with little finger, a little study.

Music sheet.

[media]https://youtu.be/kw8milKZL6s[/media]

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:11 pm

I practice with the pinky a bit for improvement of "a" finger independence.
I think pinky is quicker and stronger than "a" finger, which is tied and restricted between "m" finger and pinky.
The reason I don't use pinky regularly is tone result. I still couldn't figure out a good RH position when using pinky. I think pinky gets too far toward the bridge and it sounds brighter and unbalanced with other fingers. When I try RH with more angle to put pinky nearer other fingers, other fingers tone loose clarity (too much angle).
So I still do not use it regularly, but maybe someday I can find a solution. But I agree it may be useful in some particular effect. Its distance toward the bridge is good to artificial harmonics and that's when I use it normally. So it is nice to practice. I also use it in some resgueados, but I am not very good with rasgueos yet. Yamashita's pinky dedilllo results nice in his arrangements, but it won't be necessary in regular repertoire, only if you do some of those special arrangements and transcriptions.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”