Tendon Lotion

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
jack_gvr

Tendon Lotion

Post by jack_gvr » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:46 pm

I got this stuff from an outfit called [oops, can't put the link here!] "A unique blend of Chinese herbs ideal for chronic injuries to tendons and ligaments." I have a little guitarist's tennis elbow in my right arm that bugs me now and then, more in cold weather... when I was younger and used to practice chinese martial arts, all the serious martial artists (regrettably that never included me) had potions like this for injuries. This stuff works, I've had it for a month. Smells like old mushrooms. Hopefully no unfortunate side effects! And who the heck knows what's in it.

Anyway: useful search terms "suigetsu tendon lotion". This stuff is for old, chronic injuries, not for fresh inflammations. They have other stuff as well, of course.
Last edited by jack_gvr on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azalais

Re: Tendon Lotion

Post by Azalais » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:12 pm

Jack, we're not allowed to provide links to commercial sites with shopping carts or [buy now] buttons, so I had to remove your link... perhaps you could provide some additional search keywords that would allow people to find the product using a search engine. (or maybe they could just follow the scent of the old mushrooms! :wink: )

thank you.

jack_gvr

Post by jack_gvr » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:59 pm

Azalais wrote:Jack, we're not allowed to provide links to commercial sites with shopping carts or [buy now] buttons, so I had to remove your link... perhaps you could provide some additional search keywords that would allow people to find the product using a search engine. (or maybe they could just follow the scent of the old mushrooms! :wink: )
thank you.
Sorry 'bout that, Azalais, I'll clean it up.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:20 pm

:wink: thanks!

Sean

Post by Sean » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:27 am

Ah, ancient Chinese medicine! Calgon, take me away!!!

fretboardmusic

Post by fretboardmusic » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:47 pm

Is this similar to Chinese Dit Da Jow,or something quite different? I tried Dit Da Jow years ago for my injury-the relief was minor at best.

Eith

Post by Eith » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:09 am

Is it anything like Tiger Balm? I remember back when I practiced 10 hours a day on piano for a few weeks in order to do a competition and my pinky was incredibly sore.

jack_gvr

Post by jack_gvr » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:28 pm

fretboardmusic wrote:Is this similar to Chinese Dit Da Jow,or something quite different? I tried Dit Da Jow years ago for my injury-the relief was minor at best.
Well, it may be similar, but my impression is that there are many individual, private and proprietary formulas of martial arts balms, and the differences may be more important than the similarities. And I don't have any Dit Da Jow around now to compare, so I really can't answer that well without some research.

As far as the relief being "minor at best", of course it shouldn't be the only thing in your bag of tricks - yoga, rest, exercise, careful and conscious practice being other necessary ingredients. Any injury like this can be considered the result of self-abusive practice habits, and correcting those is the first obvious path, so we don't expect miracles out of a bottle.
Eith wrote:Is it anything like Tiger Balm? I remember back when I practiced 10 hours a day on piano for a few weeks in order to do a competition and my pinky was incredibly sore.
No, it's the antithesis of Tiger Balm. Tiger Balm is for muscles, for increasing the blood flow to the area, a different issue. You want to use Tiger Balm to warm up with, to increase blood flow to problem areas. (Sometimes I schmear it on arms, wrists, shoulders and neck before I start my scale practice.) After practice, if you are in pain, you want to ice the injury.

Again, this Tendon Lotion is specifically for "old tendon injuries" - I interpret this to mean old repetitive motion injuries which are not completely healed. Could conceivably be good for old, still-troublesome sprains too. I rub it on morning and evening, not during practice.

I'm not an expert, please consult your traditional chinese medicine practicioner! (I doubt you'll get much info along this line from a western doctor, they prefer surgery.)

Anyway, what I was really looking for was the magic chinese herbal concoction that makes your fingernails grow in like tiger claws (perhaps accompanied by daily whacks with a ball peen hammer ten times on each fingertip...!) if anybody's got a lead on that, do tell.

at_leo_87

Post by at_leo_87 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:55 am

jack_gvr wrote: Anyway, what I was really looking for was the magic chinese herbal concoction that makes your fingernails grow in like tiger claws (perhaps accompanied by daily whacks with a ball peen hammer ten times on each fingertip...!) if anybody's got a lead on that, do tell.
haha. well, it's not anything too magical or mystical but i've heard biotin will do some great things for your nails. i'm actually going to vitamin store tomorrow to get a bottle of it. supposedly, it's cheap (i hope so! :? )

are there any martial arts moves i should learn after my tiger claws have grown out?

jack_gvr

Post by jack_gvr » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:04 am

at_leo_87 wrote:...i've heard biotin will do some great things for your nails. i'm actually going to vitamin store tomorrow to get a bottle of it...
Well, keep us posted on the results, thanks.

fretboardmusic

Post by fretboardmusic » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:34 am

at_leo_87 wrote:
jack_gvr wrote: Anyway, what I was really looking for was the magic chinese herbal concoction that makes your fingernails grow in like tiger claws (perhaps accompanied by daily whacks with a ball peen hammer ten times on each fingertip...!) if anybody's got a lead on that, do tell.
haha. well, it's not anything too magical or mystical but i've heard biotin will do some great things for your nails. i'm actually going to vitamin store tomorrow to get a bottle of it. supposedly, it's cheap (i hope so! :? )

are there any martial arts moves i should learn after my tiger claws have grown out?
...fly through the air while playing guitar?

jack_gvr

Post by jack_gvr » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:07 pm

Aww, man, tigers don't fly!

at_leo_87

Post by at_leo_87 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:17 am

jack_gvr wrote:Aww, man, tigers don't fly!
yet! :wink:
i bet they will sometime after pigs do.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:04 pm

Aren't "Dit da jow" and Tiger Balm the same thing? My grandmother swore by the stuff, which we knew as "Hut dut dew," which sounds close enough to account for the Cantonese-Mandarin difference. All I know is that every time we came home with any kind of bump or bruise, grandma would slather it all over. I grew to really hate the smell and wouldn't come near the stuff for probably 30 years. I do use it from time to time now.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

jack_gvr

Post by jack_gvr » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:22 pm

oski79 wrote:Aren't "Dit da jow" and Tiger Balm the same thing?
Well I dunno! But I guess I can find out! I'll report later!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”