Ganglion Cyst

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
dewalt99

Ganglion Cyst

Post by dewalt99 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:51 pm

Hello! I've had a pain in my left wrist for some time now. I don't think I would have noticed it if I never started learning the CG so it's not debilitating but it does ache after a relatively short period of playing/practicing. (1 hour). When I stop playing the pain goes away after a couple of hours. My orthopedic said that it was most likely a ganglion cyst. It's not visibly noticeable so he wasn't quite sure. But after an injection, the pain cleared up. Now 2 months later, it's back. From what research I have been doing about treatment, it seems to be a relatively simple procedure and that surgery will be the most effective at getting rid of it. Does anyone have experience with this type of surgery? I'm just wondering about the recovery time and any other repercussions. Thanks

oski79

Re: Ganglion Cyst

Post by oski79 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:12 pm

I remember years ago an acquaintance telling me he was going to have a ganglion cyst removed. I don't remember the outcome (didn't know him that well), but as I recall, he wasn't terribly concerned about the operation. But remember, there is of course no such thing as "minor" surgery. Not when you're the operatee...

Good luck, hope it works out well for you.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Doog

Post by Doog » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:15 pm

If you Google Ganglion Cyst, you will get a ton of useful information.

Doog

George-Henry

Post by George-Henry » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi dewalt99,
Back in 1957 in Linz, Austria I underwent surgery to remove five larger ganglion cysts on my right hand and wrist.
Around 1965 I needed further surgery to remove a big painful one which had developed on the large joint of the index finger, right hand, at the US Army Hospital in Heidelberg Germany.

Since these operations the removed cysts have not recurred.

However, I still develop minor ganglions now and then on other locations of the right hand, up to this date. Do to the fact that they are small, do not occur often, and do not impain my guitar fingering, I see no need for further surgery. If they get to a point where swelling causes pain, (seldom), I lay an ice pack (or snow, if I'm outdoors at this time of year) on the region, which provides immediate relief. They disappear on their own then, mostly after 2-3 weeks.

I also discussed the matter with my present physician, who told my that there are a few other therapy methods alternativ to surgery, which, however, mostly result in recurrance sooner or later.

I found this bit of info interesting: There is no sceintific evidence which supports the widespread claim that increased use
of a hand, arm or other limb, promotes ganglion formation.
I have observed, after many, many years of living with this malady, that they ofter pop up at times when use of my hand is at a minimum. My belief is that the cause is a multiple influence thing: maybe like metabolism, nutritional habits, heredity (my mother had one on her hand also).

But, whatever the cause, if a ganglion has developed near or on a joint or wrist, usage of that joint will cause pain, as in your case, when you play guitar, or otherwise use your wrist. Should it be the case that a ganglion cyst regularly impairs your playing, and if I were you, I would surely undergo the minor surgery to get it removed.

The recovery time from my operation in 1965, until I could use my i finger again, to write, for example, was aprrox. 3-4 weeks, if I remember correctly.

Hope to have helped you!

Best Regards,
George

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:48 pm

I had one on my hand when I was a teenager. I showed it to my Doctor and he whacked it really hard with a hardback book. It broke up and disappeared within a few days and never came back.

Alan

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:02 pm

Hello Dewalt!

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. :(

I had one on my left wrist (the top of the wrist, not the palm side) for quite a few years. It was about the size of a large pea. I showed it to a friend of mine (who is a dentist) and he told me that his wife had one in the same place. One day, as she was making the bed she accidentally wacked it against the wall and it was gone. It grew back later and when she went to a doctor, he wacked it with a rubber hammer. :twisted:

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT RECOMMENDING THAT YOU DO THE FOLLOWING!!!....

So, I tried smacking mine with a heavy book.That worked, but it grew back. Every few months or so, I'd have to give it another wack. After a few years, though, that wouldn't work anymore. I needed heavier artillery, so I started using my folded up metal footstool. I had to smack really it hard! :shock:

After using this method for a while, I realized, "This really isn't the best idea!" :chaud:

I considered surgery, but I remembered a pianist I knew who had surgery on both wrists. Each wrist now had a tiny scar on it with fresh gangions underneath the scars. So, I didn't much trust that idea either.

Eventually, I went to my Naturopathic doctor. He did some chiropracic adjustment of the left arm, esp. the elbow, and applied some acupunture needles in various places.

Then, he pulled out what looked like a large hypodermic needle. He said this was the fattest needle he had. ("Like a shovel")

He stuck it into the cyst and drained it.

That was 15 years ago and it hasn't come back since. :D

So, I guess my suggestion would be to explore alternative methods first that would be less invasive than surgery.

And DON'T try to fix it yourself! :lol:

Good luck!

Alan

EDIT: LOL! The other Alan posted his while I was writing this one! Hi Alan :bye:

zukr

Post by zukr » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:30 pm

age old remedy used to be whacking it with a bible...hard bound, heavy and freely available!!

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:21 pm

LOL! :lol:

I was using my German-English dictionary!

(BTW, George-Henry, I was living in Munich at the time!)

Alan

CMS

Post by CMS » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:11 am

Funny. Broke mine up with a book but it took a few times before it went away. Never told anyone because I figured no one would believe me. Have not had the issue again. Another strange one... had some small skin tags on my neck, went to the doc who said for me to get a sharp scissor and cut them off. Asked about Novocain and he said the needle would hurt more than the scissor so he picked up a scissor and cut one off and to my dismay didn't really feel anything. He told me that it was not worth me paying him to do this as it was such a simple procedure. Took really sharp fly tying scissors and went to town. Nice to finally have a doc tell me that it was a do it yourself job.

Orion

Post by Orion » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:37 am

I had a ganglion cyst in my left wrist (I’m right handed) and had surgery to have it removed about 10 years ago. At the time I was told that there was always a risk that the ganglion might come back even after surgery. However although my wrist was out of action for a few months after the surgery it healed up fine and I’ve never had any repeat occurrences since.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:14 pm

CMS wrote:Another strange one... had some small skin tags on my neck, went to the doc who said for me to get a sharp scissor and cut them off. Asked about Novocain and he said the needle would hurt more than the scissor so he picked up a scissor and cut one off and to my dismay didn't really feel anything.

I had a very similar experience--a small flap of skin hanging from the outside edge of my eyelid. My doctor called it something like a "cutaneous horn." One year at my physical she finally said let's do something about that. She said I probably wouldn't feel a thing but since it was right next to my eye it might be more sensitive, so she dabbed a bit of topical on it. She was right, I didn't feel anything, either during or after. My wife, who had been bugging me off and on for years about it, didn't notice it was gone for months!
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

DanielMcPherson

Post by DanielMcPherson » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:32 pm

I had one about four years ago. It hurt when I played guitar, which frustrated me greatly. It lasted for about six weeks, and then I boxed it away. I wasn't trying to, but I punched on a heavy bag for a half hour and when I took my gloves off the cyst was gone.

It came back again a few months later and this time I deliberately tried punching it away, but without any success. It didn't hurt as much as the first time, and if I remember right it just went away after a few weeks without it obvious cause.

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:18 pm

I also cleared a ganglion cyst on the back of my wrist by means of a heavy book. It took quite a number of "treatments" over a couple of weeks but it went away completely and has never returned. I can't remember precisely when this was but it must have been about 20 years ago.

dewalt99

Post by dewalt99 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:41 pm

YIKES! I read about ganglion cysts being called "Bible Bumps" because in the old days, you smashed them with a big heavy bible, but I thought that was done in days long ago. Apparently that isn't the case? ICK. From what I'm reading a lot of you have *ahem* self-administered a cure.

I guess if it doesn't get any bigger I'll leave things be and if it does I'll just have to reach for the unabridged dictionary in my dad's house and let a family member take their frustrations out on me. :shock:

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:00 pm

:shock: KIDS PLEASE: DON'T TRY THIS STUFF AT HOME!! :contrat:

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”