revisiting " -guitar chairs" - once again

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
too fat fingers

revisiting " -guitar chairs" - once again

Post by too fat fingers » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:51 am

I know this topic has posted before, but I'm thinking that my problem not being able to form my left hand properly, thereby causing the awful "clunk" noise, is a result of several things of course, but most probably my posture while playing. You see, when I practice I have a tendency to 'slump' over the guitar after a period of only a few minutes. So, being 6'2" and sitting in a firm seated dinning room style chair may be causing the slumping which ultimately results in the constant improper left hand position?? I seem to remember that several persons wrote about guitar benches, chairs, stools, etc, and I'm asking if I can get a consensus of the board on what is being used as a norm for a chair? I also seem to lose guitar position while I slump and have to go to Nadar's post regarding holding the guitar as a reminder.
Is there anyone out there that could suggest a strong, sturdy chair, bench, stool, that might be available and specifically for use with the guitar? Then maybe, I can correct ONE of my bad habits!!
thanks,
Steve

hesson11

Re: revisiting " -guitar chairs" - once again

Post by hesson11 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:50 am

I don't know whether my one solution would work for others, but I picked up this tip at the link below (not a commercial site). I went to a thrift shop and found an armless desk chair that slopes downward toward the rear portion. I detached the back of the chair and sit on it "backwards." This tilts my body slightly forward, against which I adopt a very straight posture, putting my left foot forward to help. This is the easiest way I've found to sit up straight, as I, too, used to have a tendency to slump forward.

The chair also has adjustable height, so I can adjust it perfectly to work with my Dynarette cushion.

http://www.geocities.com/nitaro74/seat.htm

Good luck!
-Bob

James

Post by James » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:17 am

I was unable to find a suitable chair to modify which would enable me sit on it with a forward tilt . However I raised the back part of my guitar stool by placing a 2 to 3 cm thick slab of wood under the back legs of my stool. This allowed me to have a a slight forward slope therefore maintaining a neutral lumbar lordosis (low back curve) while I played. Previous to this I use to experience an intermittent 'pin's & needles' sensation at my legs (particularly the left....due predominately to past low back issues) with sitting on the stool. Now I hardly experience that kind of discomfort! However I do have breaks every 1/2 hour or so from sitting.....and I keep myself reasonably fit. Also I vary between Gitano, foot stand and Dynarette (the latter abit less now due to it slight instability.

too fat fingers

Post by too fat fingers » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:11 am

Many thanks for the reply and especially your techniques for this problem. I particularly enjoyed the piece by the "Humane Guitarist" and will read it often. I do like the suggestion of putting a slab of wood under the back legs of my chair also. Interesting, while looking for the 'exact' solution the most obvious presents itself.... Cheers!
Steve

bruciekins

Post by bruciekins » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Many chairs have a hard ridge round the chair, which doesn't matter if you sit in the middle. But if you sit on the front of the chair (as you should to play guitar), that ridge can get really uncomfortable. At the school I teach at, the teachers chairs are what office suppliers call "visitors chairs", I went out and bought one, and it's great, at least for me. The only thing to beware of , is to make sure you don't get one that slopes down towards the back- that will get your back ache going.

wianno

Post by wianno » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:54 pm

hesson11,

Thanks for the helpful link! Presently I'm using an old (antique) Windsor chair. It's just the right height for me but the seat is level. To affect the forward lean, I put to use a yoga prop that was lying around the house. It's a dense foam wedge, about 18" wide and 7-8" deep. After some use it has conformed to the carved seat of the chair, so does not move.

Nitin Arora's suggestion about the office chair is a good one that is worth exploring.

Jack

Spektrograf

Post by Spektrograf » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:35 am

If anyone is looking to get that forward tilt without throwing out their existing chair, a memory foam wedge cushion works nicely to give just enough tilt. I've used it for home office chairs when I did more work in the home office.

es335

Post by es335 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:41 pm

This is the most amazing thread I ever came across this forum. Just put a 3cm wooden board under the back legs of my chair and eperienced the most relaxing practice session ever. I had already determined that a chair with back tilt is an ordeal for the back but never beleaved that the opposit might offer such a sitting comfort! The relief for my back is even more significant than from the use of a guitar support. I will immediatelly get a "tilt cushion" as this looks like the most practical solution for the different playing situations.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this underestimated aspect of guitar posture! :merci:

Regrads
es335

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”