Right Hand Thumb Technique

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
zero

Right Hand Thumb Technique

Post by zero » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:50 am

Hallo, everyone.

I have a serious question xD that I have been thinking about for quite some time.
When playing, does one "support" the right hand with the thumb or not?
something like when you do arrpegios...

If you could take a swift look at a video (its only 1:07, the one playing is Not me..) and tell me if the guy supporting his RH with thumb is right or wrong I would be very grateful.

I do not do that. I just play the notes the way when one plays chords...ima...meaning there is no contact to the strings with the fingers that do not play the notes written in the score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A98Ti_ifawg

I would be great i you could help.
PS: YT links ARE allowed, right?

Thank you.

zero
Last edited by zero on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vito Simplicio
Composer

Re: Right Hand Thumb Technique

Post by Vito Simplicio » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:55 pm

Hey zero,

There's a problem with the link you provided.

Vito
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

AsturiasFan

Re: Right Hand Thumb Technique

Post by AsturiasFan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:50 am

You might want to look at the topic Should I anchor my thumb on the bass strings?
kfisherx wrote:Now that said, I rest my thumb on the bass string directly above the string I am playing with my fingers. We are all taught to do this in our studio. The reason is that it teaches the hand to move from the elbow and cross the strings rather than having the fingers reach for notes. Moving the hand gives the fingers the most leverage and the most secure playing position.
I personally find that anchoring the thumb is not a crutch. It helps reinforce the muscle memory of good form that carries over even when the thumb is taken off. One advantage of ksfiserx's system is that the fingers maintain a consistent position relative to the strings. Sudden changing of relative position leads to missed hits which can be alleviated by advanced planting of any of the fingers including the thumb.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”