Epsom Salt soaking

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
musenji

Epsom Salt soaking

Post by musenji » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:10 pm

A friend just raved about taking an epsom salt bath, and I've read that athletes use it for soreness, etc., so I was a bit surprised to see that the word "epsom" has not even been used on this forum before now.

Does anyone know if soaking the hand in epsom salt/warm water is safe for a guitarist? Has anyone tried it, and if so, what was your experience?

Raimundo104

Re: Epsom Salt soaking

Post by Raimundo104 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:35 pm

I usually put it in the bath in the morning. WhenI first started using it a noticed an improvement in flexibility generally in the body,(not specifically the hand though) I massage sesame oil into my hands 5 mins or so before taking a bath and I find that helps with stretching.

Sean

Post by Sean » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:07 pm

I've done it many times before with my fingertips. It's been quite a long time since I've done that, but I know a lot of people use Epsom Salts to soak their feet.

jppira

Post by jppira » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:57 am

How do you go about this epsom salt business?
Should it be warm or hot? How much salt for each liter or cup or whatever of water?
Is there any risk for your nails?

I am very interested in learning about this.

JP

dodz

Post by dodz » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:22 pm

an epsom salt bath to relieve tension and detoxify the muscles is a wonderful thing.

just make sure that if you use a considerable amount of salt in the bath, you won't feel like doing much for the hours immediately following.

rabidmuskrat

Post by rabidmuskrat » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:26 pm

Epsom is excellent for tired, sore muscles, arthritis ache, etc. I like to add a drop or two of lavender, and rosemary essential oils - both are wonderful for muscle aches and pains, arthritis, and muscle tension. A little bit of those oils goes a long way!

JimDPringle

Post by JimDPringle » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:21 pm

After practice, I started soaking both hands in Epsom salt, hot water and some lavender essential oils (5 drops). Sometimes, I first hold an ice pack, usually on my left, and then submerge into the hand bath.

Feels good and relieves inflammation.

rabidmuskrat

Post by rabidmuskrat » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:34 pm

Just reminds me that I need to pick up some epsom salt...

Generally, unless the weather is cold, it's generally my left wrist and the muscles from my wrist to my thumb that end up the most sore. I haven't quite figured out if its bad position, or the fact that I type ALL day at work. I do find myself gripping the back of the fretboard too tightly, which may have something to do with it.

Sean

Post by Sean » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:42 pm

jppira wrote:How do you go about this epsom salt business?
Should it be warm or hot? How much salt for each liter or cup or whatever of water?
Is there any risk for your nails?

I am very interested in learning about this.

JP
Well, I only soaked my LH, so no worry about the nails. I liked almost hot, hotter than lukewarm (that's old man Warm's oldest boy - :lol: ). I used a bowl, like a cereal breakfast bowl, filled it about 2/3 with water and used two scoops full of the salts. Now, I've seen Epsom salts sold in cardboard cartons that give instructions on a wide variety of uses, including body soaks.

Raimundo104

Post by Raimundo104 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:43 pm

It's been quite difficult buying any quantity in the chemists (drug stores) around here. There is a shortage due to demand from the health clubs that have flotation tanks. So I ordered a 10kg tub online. that should keep me going for a few months. I find I need about 50g in a hot bath to have a good effect.

musenji

Post by musenji » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:29 pm

Raimundo104 wrote:It's been quite difficult buying any quantity in the chemists (drug stores) around here. There is a shortage due to demand from the health clubs that have flotation tanks. So I ordered a 10kg tub online. that should keep me going for a few months. I find I need about 50g in a hot bath to have a good effect.
Just 50g? ..I am figuring out the math now...I measured 4 pounds/1.81kg, and that came out to 8 cups (I guess a pint is a pound in this case). So 1 cup is 226 g, so you're using about 1/4 cup for an entire bath.

The instructions on my bag say 2 cups per gallon, for soaking, which would come out to more than twenty for a bath.

A site online said to use 2 cups for a bath.

Is the company just trying to sell more salt? What ratio do the rest of you use?

Raimundo104

Post by Raimundo104 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:33 pm

Good point musenji. I will try 100g tomorrow, and increase the quantity each day to see what effect it has.(though it's impossible to get the soap to lather even with 50g.)

GuitaristOrdinate

Post by GuitaristOrdinate » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:56 am

I've been soaking my hands and taking long hot epsom salt baths lately and I have to say that they do help a little . Deep tissue massages help even more though .

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”