Split finger tips

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
sparrowhawk

Re: Split finger tips

Post by sparrowhawk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:34 pm

I suffer quite badly from dry skin/eczema. Long term I put a buy-in-bulk-moisturiser on (Sorbelene for those Aussies reading this post) every time my hands get wet.
This controls the problem. On the rare occasion that the skin cracks/itches/goes generally haywire, I put lots of lotion on them (a really thick layer) then put them in a small freezer bag (one for each hand), sticky tape around the wrist. Do this overnight for several nights. This really works!

bob4096

Post by bob4096 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:47 pm

sparrowhawk wrote:I put lots of lotion on them (a really thick layer) then put them in a small freezer bag (one for each hand), sticky tape around the wrist. Do this overnight for several nights. This really works!
Fortunately I do not have the problem to this extent. I use a little lanolin regularly and it seems to control the problem.

Bob

SixString

Post by SixString » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi All, I've also suffered split skin in Wintertime for years. Initially I thought it was caused by cold but now I believe it is caused by(or certainly exacerbated) by low humidity. I wear powder-latex gloves which make the hands sweat and seems to help,even overnightsometimes!!!!!!. For the splits, I close them over with "paper-stitches" which helps them heal. On occasion I have even closed them with superglue (cyanoacrylate adhesive aka crazyglue). Not a "cure" by any means, but maybe a workaround?

Best wishes,
Eph.,

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”