I don't use a footstool....should I?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
moonlington

I don't use a footstool....should I?

Post by moonlington » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:37 am

I usually play with my guitar in a position like this:
(except without the collapsed wrist, usually :mrgreen: ) but since I rarely see anybody without a footstool...I'm starting to think I'm missing something. My teacher doesn't mind or say anything, but I thought I'd ask.
:merci:

syrinx666pan

Re: I don't use a footstool....should I?

Post by syrinx666pan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:14 am

you must have been unrelaxed concerning your right arm and your left arm tries to reach out some finger positions. your back bends over the guitar due to its low positioning. The use of a footstool is very helpful for a healthy posture. It you don't want a footstool, try using an A-frame. However, the use of an A-frame is spare and its more expensive than a footstool, so the better option would be putting the guitar on your right lap, raised around 45 degrees (like that of an A-frame). But I think footstool should be a very important option, its the standard choice of all classical guitarists. And If you stay still on that posture you showed us, you might suffer body pains (you're still young).
I hope this helps.

:D syrinx666pan

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:50 am

I agree. Your right shoulder is all hunched up to get to the strings, your left arm is stretched out to get to the frets and you're fighting to keep the guitar in place. You are severely limiting your own development.

Alan

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:15 am

After fighting the use of a footstool or support for many years, I finally realized that when you hold the guitar in the "correct" position, you can do things that you just can't do when you hold it otherwise. I learned there is a reason so many guitarists for so many decades have all used basically the same position: It helps you play better. I'm quite surprised your teacher has said nothing about this. Is he or she a classical guitarist?

I particularly recommend supports like the Gitane or Dynarette as opposed to a footstool, as I believe it promotes a healthier body position. That's something you, at your age, will think is absolutely nuts. Now that I have some injuries and aches and pains from playing the "wrong" way, I wish I had adopted a correct, healthy position when I was your age. Good luck!
-Bob

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi Moonlington,

Here' are a couple of discussions about some guitar supports that might interest you.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24376
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=32435

Many players are happy with their footstool, others have found better solutions with guitar supports of various kinds. Some (like me) combine a low footstool with e.g. a Dynarette. I notice your guitar has a button on its tail, so you might even consider using a strap—this has been discussed (sometimes at quite a high temperature) once or twice here e.g.

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=35780

Even with your low mileage body, as has already been emphasised above, it is definitely worth worth taking action now to ensure that your posture is good, stays good and will enable you to continue playing pain free for the whole of your life,

Best wishes, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

owl

Post by owl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:01 pm

moonlington wrote:My teacher doesn't mind or say anything, but I thought I'd ask.
If you want to play classical guitar then the very first thing I would do would be to find another teacher! :roll:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Milo Da Bruzzo

Post by Milo Da Bruzzo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi,
I'm with Owl, a teacher that does not care of the correct posture is not a teacher of classical giutar.
Milo

moonlington

Post by moonlington » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:13 am

owl wrote:
moonlington wrote:My teacher doesn't mind or say anything, but I thought I'd ask.
If you want to play classical guitar then the very first thing I would do would be to find another teacher! :roll:

Owl
hey now... www.myspace.com/adrianverdejo
this guy has done more than anybody else to make me a better guitarist. i usually play with my left leg tightly crossed over my right in lessons though, and maybe he doesn't know that i don't use a footstool outside of his lessons...but thanks for the advice everbody.

Guitar Slim

Post by Guitar Slim » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:18 am

moonlington wrote:
owl wrote:

Owl
hey now... http://www.myspace.com/adrianverdejo
this guy has done more than anybody else to make me a better guitarist. i usually play with my left leg tightly crossed over my right in lessons though, and maybe he doesn't know that i don't use a footstool outside of his lessons...but thanks for the advice everbody.
I don't like to bash other people's teachers on this forum. Primarily because you never know if what the poster says the teacher says is what the teacher really says -- or in this case, doesn't say. (Did that make any sense?)

Mr. Verdejo seems like an accomplished guitarist who obviously had some formal training. Are you saying he's never mentioned posture, or ergonomics, or using a footstool? He's never talked to you about how to hold the guitar, or the position of your shoulders, elbow, arm and wrist? Just curious.

It seems from the picture that your playing position needs work. Your wrist, elbow and shoulders all look very tense and unnatural.

If your teacher is not talking to you about this stuff, he certainly should be!

syrinx666pan

Post by syrinx666pan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:09 am

Well, how about those who only teaches about the postures, and tells you "Do It Yourself" on your techniques?
Just Kidding. :lol:

ei Moonlight, work on your postures ok. Sure there's a lot of musical reserves at your age. Cheers!

moonlington

Post by moonlington » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:50 am

Guitar Slim wrote: I don't like to bash other people's teachers on this forum. Primarily because you never know if what the poster says the teacher says is what the teacher really says -- or in this case, doesn't say. (Did that make any sense?)

Mr. Verdejo seems like an accomplished guitarist who obviously had some formal training. Are you saying he's never mentioned posture, or ergonomics, or using a footstool? He's never talked to you about how to hold the guitar, or the position of your shoulders, elbow, arm and wrist? Just curious.

It seems from the picture that your playing position needs work. Your wrist, elbow and shoulders all look very tense and unnatural.

If your teacher is not talking to you about this stuff, he certainly should be!
that was actually a bad picture to choose...that was taken (probably) near the end of the presto movement of koyunbaba (after the leaping part) which is where my wrist starts to collapse a bit and i really tense up. usually i'm much more relaxed and at ease. it was mostly just to show the general position the guitar is in most of the time. also, flattening my wrist is a bad habit i've had since i was 8; adrian's helped alot to fix it.

Freeman

Post by Freeman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Nawh.... guitar case works fine...

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”