revisiting guitar supports

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Denis Paradis

Re: revisitting guitar supports

Post by Denis Paradis » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:16 pm

Eden7c wrote:
olarte wrote:
I could not find a place to buy it or a price... where did you get it and how much did it charge?

I bought it there at Salon de la guitare but that's a Canadian retailer, then again I have been purchasing internationally for years (mainly from the states but in europe too) so this should not stop you :wink:
Hey Olarte I see here viewtopic.php?f=71&t=38860 that it didn't stop you at all 8)

I fell upon him looking for Oasis strings, real nice doing business with him.
“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

- Rachmaninov

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:14 pm

Eden7c wrote:
Eden7c wrote:
olarte wrote:
I could not find a place to buy it or a price... where did you get it and how much did it charge?

I bought it there at Salon de la guitare but that's a Canadian retailer, then again I have been purchasing internationally for years (mainly from the states but in europe too) so this should not stop you :wink:
Hey Olarte I see here viewtopic.php?f=71&t=38860 that it didn't stop you at all 8)

I fell upon him looking for Oasis strings, real nice doing business with him.
Hi Eden7c Yes I picked it up from Paul, and I'm very delighted with it. Much much better than the Gitano.

I see you found my review :D

Thanks for your initial mention of the Tenuto. It's such a nice support but poorly advertised. I searched all over the internet and other than Paul's site, and your post I could not find anything else about it. But I'm glad I took the plunge. It's well worth it.

I wrote the review here, in hopes that others find out about it.

Denis Paradis

Post by Denis Paradis » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:53 pm

olarte wrote:
From what Paul tells me (I wrote to him inquiring about the new Oasis GPX normal tensions yesterday ) it looks like we're not alone, he says he's gotten phone calls from all over the world since we posted here :)

- Rachmaninov

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:09 pm

Eden7c wrote:
olarte wrote:
From what Paul tells me (I wrote to him inquiring about the new Oasis GPX normal tensions yesterday ) it looks like we're not alone, he says he's gotten phone calls from all over the world since we posted here :)

Great... I love the Tenuto, and I'm glad for Paul to get more business... funny though that there were very few comments about my review.

The only comments have been about the use of Suction cups but these seem much better than the Gitano's. Still, next time I buy strings at stringsbymail I plan to get a piece of klingon to put under the suction cups just in case...

Brent Hutto

Re: revisiting guitar supports

Post by Brent Hutto » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:11 pm

Anything that is removable from your guitar will be "removed" by the suction cup. Conversely, anything that will hold onto your guitar while the suction cup is suctioning on it is more potentially damaging than the suction cup itself. I have a matte finish steel-string guitar that is too porous for the suction to hold. When I put a piece of clear tap-plate plastic under it, the adhesive on the tap-plate let go where the suction cup was pulling.

In other words, I don't think Kling-On will be any good in that application. If you don't trust your finish under suction then you pretty much can't use a suction cup.

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:24 pm

Brent Hutto wrote:Anything that is removable from your guitar will be "removed" by the suction cup. Conversely, anything that will hold onto your guitar while the suction cup is suctioning on it is more potentially damaging than the suction cup itself. I have a matte finish steel-string guitar that is too porous for the suction to hold. When I put a piece of clear tap-plate plastic under it, the adhesive on the tap-plate let go where the suction cup was pulling.

In other words, I don't think Kling-On will be any good in that application. If you don't trust your finish under suction then you pretty much can't use a suction cup.
Uhm, that's interesting. Well I've used suction cups form on the Gitano and although they come off once in a while there are no marks at all on the finish.

The Tenuto support that I have now has 4 suction cups they seem of much better quality than the Gitano, and have not come off at all

I was thinking of the klingon more as protection than making the suction cups stick. The Klingon is not adhesive, more like static cling, but I wonder fit that would actually work since it's not adhesive. Funny part is stringsbymail shows Klingon specifically made for attaching suction cups on the guitar....

Thanks for your comment. I suppose if the suction cups have not damaged the finish, then I might be better off keeping it like that.

eclipse

Post by eclipse » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:24 am

What about the supports that use the rubber feet to hold onto the guitar? Do they affect the finish as well?

Brent Hutto

Post by Brent Hutto » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:49 am

olarte,

I've used a Neck-Up brand support quite frequently (although lately I'm more into the Dynarette) and any sign it leaves behind disappears as soon as I give the guitar my usual wipe with a clean, dry cloth. But I always worry in the back of my mind that one day it might leave a mark.

I'm with eclipse, the Kling-On is probably more suited for protecting the guitar from the rubber-feet-clamps type of support but maybe I'm wrong.

Denis Paradis

Post by Denis Paradis » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:22 am

olarte wrote:
Thanks for your comment. I suppose if the suction cups have not damaged the finish, then I might be better off keeping it like that.
I read (I think it's on the French Delcamp) about suction cups becoming err... Un-sticky !?...

The trick given was to just wash the cups with a mild soap and they will regain their function.

- Rachmaninov

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”