Nails stronger on one hand?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
axaclassic

Nails stronger on one hand?

Post by axaclassic » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:39 am

Just curious for views. Years ago I'm sure I read somewhere that the hand that you write with is more likely to have stronger fingernails because it 'gets more exercise' - used more I guess. Now I write etc with my left hand BUT for some reason have always been a right-handed guitar player. Which means my RH fingernails tend to break, flake etc more than those on my left - which is annoying to say the least.

My guitar teacher pooh poohs this idea - and I can understand his view, but I'm interested - has anyone else heard this? Is there any proof out there anywhere?

Or am I just making it up? :?:

Paul

Re: Nails stronger on one hand?

Post by Paul » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:45 am

I find that the strongest nails are generally on the left hand, if you play right handed, that is. Thank old Murphy for that.

Vesuvio

Re: Nails stronger on one hand?

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:52 am

Hi Axaclassic,
axaclassic wrote:...Years ago I'm sure I read somewhere that the hand that you write with is more likely to have stronger fingernails because it 'gets more exercise' - used more I guess...
I'm a right hander. I have wondered whether nail development is related to the supply of blood to a fingertip. For instance, though I use Onymyrrhe and have always been really pleased with the result, I think there is a possibility that massaging it into the nail bed each day stimulates the flow of blood into that area. For all that, my RH 'a' nail is more arched and seems slightly thinner than the others.

To go back to your original question, my left hand nails are thinner than my right but perhaps they were not before I started using Onymyrrhe,

Best wishes, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”