Jason Vieaux posture

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Jamessturdy

Jason Vieaux posture

Post by Jamessturdy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi Everyone

What do members think about Jason Vieaux's playing position and the height of his guitar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVF_vVwg0cY

Is this just one example of a new consensus, a 'modern' position that is developing in contrast to Williams' and bream's lower guitars and shallower neck angles?

In fact, are there any up and coming guitarists who don't position their guitars at this height and angle?

GuitarVlog

Re: Jason Vieaux posture

Post by GuitarVlog » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:06 pm

Note to moderators: The videos were from the 2006 NY Guitar Festival and released to YouTube by the organizers. I'm assuming that we are free to present them here.

This is the video. It is a bit steep.

[media]https://youtu.be/BVF_vVwg0cY[/media]

Could have been matched with an Ergoplay like ... Elliot Fisk.

[media]https://youtu.be/hZkK5Bbn0Og[/media]

William Kanengiser's is lower but seems to be the same angle.

[media]https://youtu.be/yiIjg_Gw98c[/media]

Martha Masters seems to hold her guitar as high. She's using a support.

[media]https://youtu.be/NMBEbVf965k[/media]

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:12 pm

I've found that holding the guitar higher, and on more of a 45 degree angle like the pictures of Vieux, Fisk, etc., is easier on the left hand. I think the more neutral angle it provides to the fretboard puts less stress on the wrist, and it's easier to barre the higher frets--like 7 and above.

But even more intriguing to me is the "cello" position. That looks not just easier on the wrists, but the back and legs too.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:56 pm

oski79 wrote:But even more intriguing to me is the "cello" position. That looks not just easier on the wrists, but the back and legs too.
Play it like a pipa.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KslV807X1Eg

You can even do flamenco rasgueos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZmAgFyVo48

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:33 pm

GuitarVlog wrote:Play it like a pipa.
I actually had a pipa. Back in the late 70's my sister went to China. I asked her to bring me back one. She did, but it was such a cheap piece of crap that almost immediately pieces started falling off. I would have loved to have been able to learn to play it.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Sean

Post by Sean » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:36 pm

Dale Kavanagh plays with the guitar set up like Vieaux - perhaps even higher. Her chin rides just above the guitar.

Intune

Post by Intune » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:49 pm

Last month I attended a marvelous concert given by Jason and sat maybe four feet in front of him as he played (it was a very informal setting that encouraged this sort of proximity). Jason is a tall guy with big hands and, yes, he positions the guitar at a relatively steep angle achieved by using a high footstool. He looks serenely comfortable and secure in this position -- but, frankly, I wonder how well his back will hold up over a career of playing this way for many years. He could be one of the lucky ones who never develop problems, or he could run into trouble down the line. I'm pretty sure he could position the guitar at the same angle using an Ergoplay or somesuch and thus lower the possibility of trouble, and I'd be very curious to know if he's ever considered one. I'm sorry now that I didn't ask him that after his concert.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)
2019 Michael Cadiz (spruce/ziricote)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

oski79

Post by oski79 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:40 pm

Vieaux also appears to be using the Guitar Chair.

wbajzek

Post by wbajzek » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:41 pm

oski79 wrote:Vieaux also appears to be using the Guitar Chair.
I never understood why the guitar chair is any better than just sitting towards the front of any decent chair. I guess the foldability is nice...

Brent Hutto

Post by Brent Hutto » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:52 pm

wbajzek wrote:
I never understood why the guitar chair is any better than just sitting towards the front of any decent chair. I guess the foldability is nice...
It's a mystery to me too. The only thing I can figure is if you want to play while leaning against the backrest that cutaway makes it possible. But that's not how I sit so it seems like an odd piece of kit to have.

wbajzek

Post by wbajzek » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:20 pm

Brent Hutto wrote:
wbajzek wrote:
It's a mystery to me too. The only thing I can figure is if you want to play while leaning against the backrest that cutaway makes it possible. But that's not how I sit so it seems like an odd piece of kit to have.
Certainly the way Jason's sitting in that first picture doesn't make it seem better than any other chair. But perhaps that's just what the venue had on hand for guitarists. Maybe someone said "we need a chair for guitarists" so they googled "guitar chair" and bought that.

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:39 pm

wbajzek wrote:Certainly the way Jason's sitting in that first picture doesn't make it seem better than any other chair. But perhaps that's just what the venue had on hand for guitarists. Maybe someone said "we need a chair for guitarists" so they googled "guitar chair" and bought that.
Then again, none of the other participants at that venue are using it. It seems that the others are using a piano bench.

The guitar chair supposedly allows the player to rest the lower half of their back but I remember that William Kanengiser said that we should be playing at the edge of the chair without support.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:00 am

wbajzek wrote:The guitar chair supposedly allows the player to rest the lower half of their back but I remember that William Kanengiser said that we should be playing at the edge of the chair without support.
It seems to me that if you don't have a back support, ie a piano bench, you are more likely to sit straight up and not slump your back, which of course is not good for it. If you have a back support, it's much easier to get lazy with your posture. It's hard to tell from the picture if Vieaux is leaning back on the support, but I expect he isn't, or if he is, very lightly. A concert guitarist is undoubtedly aware of the importance of good posture.

phredric

Post by phredric » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:25 am

I was at a Jason Vieaux masterclass just yesterday! but i didnt notice anything funny about his posture. however, he uses a footstool on the highest setting which i think hurts your butt after a couple hours

Robbie Flamerock

Post by Robbie Flamerock » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:28 am

Jamessturdy wrote:Hi Everyone

What do members think about Jason Vieaux's playing position and the height of his guitar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVF_vVwg0cY

Is this just one example of a new consensus, a 'modern' position that is developing in contrast to Williams' and bream's lower guitars and shallower neck angles?

In fact, are there any up and coming guitarists who don't position their guitars at this height and angle?

I ain't even goin ta look. All I know is that my way is the only to play. I'am right and you wrong. Dat's da troot.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”