Jason Vieaux posture

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
oregon47

Re: Jason Vieaux posture

Post by oregon47 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:30 pm

I play with the guitar in that position and really like it. I use a Dyanarette pad on my leg and then use a very short footrest, which feels more comfortable on the old hind end along with being easier on the back. I will see Mr. Vieaux in concert and hopefully attend a master class in Ashland May 9th and I will ask him about position

derrickstevenson

Post by derrickstevenson » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:09 am

I started classical guitar about 6 months ago after playing electric and acoustic for a few years. At first it took me a while to get used to positioning the guitar on my left leg ( I'm right handed ) and now find it much more natural for the classical guitar however it's not quite the angle Jason Vieaux uses. I haven't yet looked at the Williams/Bream positions but I am assuming that mine is closer to that. The problem I have with increasing the angle of the guitar is that I start to get pain in my lower back due to my left leg being too high. Maybe I need to sit on a higher chair. Does anyone else experience this?

Der

oski79

Post by oski79 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:15 am

Derrick... If you feel quite comfortable from a playing standpoint with the guitar fairly high, but putting your left leg that high gives you back pain, then the solution may well be a guitar support. There are a number of fairly popular ones around--Gitano, Ergoplay, Dynarette, etc--but the place to start is to scroll through the forum. There are a number of threads discussing the pros and cons of each right here on the ergonomics board.

Good luck with it. Back pain sucks.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

derrickstevenson

Post by derrickstevenson » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:54 pm

Thanks Oski, I'll look into that.

der

Baroqenstein

Post by Baroqenstein » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:08 pm

I saw Mr Vieaux perform recently along with a a few of his masters students. One thing I noticed is that each student played with very different postures. A few even played with their chairs angled so the guitar top would still be projecting directly forward. The other thing I noticed was that Vieaux and one other student performed baroque and romantic period pieces and that their guitars were the most angled, the student who was playing Bach actually had his noticeably higher and Vieaux played barrios/tarrega. This position is probably better for more techniqally advanced works, but is it needed for lesser works? And do any of you change posture for certain songs?

convert

Post by convert » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:34 am

if its comfortable with a wide range of musical challenges and over a period of minutes and hours then i guess its OK, but it doesn't look right to me. he also seems to have a small guitar (odd choice when luthiers are knocking themselves out these days to make louder classical guitars) and he seems to have it tilted back so that he can look backwards at it to some degree. that doesn't seem correct either. but whatever works. :)

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:08 am

The message I get from all of these posts on posture is: "There are no absolute truths". The only rule that applies to all is to be comfortable and relaxed. Every player will find their own way. I don't believe Jason would ever hold his guitar like Pepe Romero does or vice versa.

Cincy
2018 Ashley Sanders Cedar/Ziricote lattice braced

A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

freestroke

Post by freestroke » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:09 pm

convert wrote:... he also seems to have a small guitar (odd choice when luthiers are knocking themselves out these days to make louder classical guitars)
Vieaux could play a cello-size instrument with approximately the same comfort I have with a normal guitar. He's a big guy. I think it's an optical illusion.
Hell is full of amateur musicians -- GB Shaw

Baroqenstein

Post by Baroqenstein » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:52 am

Vieaux plays a modern style double top, so it might not need as much surface area.

jfdana

Post by jfdana » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:14 am

It really is a "normal" size guitar that fits in a "normal" size case.

One advantage to the slightly-tipped-back angle of the guitar, relative to the vertical plane, is that it fits rather comfortable and securely against one's chest leaving the back free from contact, and facilitates a helpful angle for the right hand against the plane of the strings.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”