left middle finger pain

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
el baroda

left middle finger pain

Post by el baroda » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:23 am

G'day, everyone. I was wondering if anyone could comment or give suggestions to relieve (or correct) the pain in my left middle finger when I play my guitars. I first experienced this when I tried playing Cavatina on my new, highly rated, thin-necked Yamaha CG 171S (bought last week of March). The pain feels as if the nerve is being stretched or stressed and is quite pronounced when I do barres up the neck (last 4 frets). I've never experienced this before with my other guitars, one of which has a thick and long neck (664mm), but now I feel a bit of pain as well when I play them. (When I bought the Yamaha, was under the impression that a thin-necked guitar would be more COMFORTABLE to play than a regular guitar.) I have since stopped playing the Yamaha for pieces requring complex barres. Any advice will be most appreciated. Best regards.

Lemonsieur

Re: left middle finger pain

Post by Lemonsieur » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:25 pm

A lot of people prefer thin necks. But don't assume that thin necks are appropriate for *your* physiology. I can't play thin necked guitars. It produces various left hand pain problems. My first two guitars (one of which was a Yamaha) had thin necks, and when the pain would crop up I would have to stop playing completely for a week or so for the pain to go away completely. But it would invariable come back. If you hand is big enough or moves in a certain way, a thinner neck can make stretches harder, cause thumb problems, and introduce undue tension.

el baroda

Re: left middle finger pain

Post by el baroda » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi. Thanks a lot for your response. You are right. I have a larger hands compared to most and I find the thin-necked Yamaha difficult to play. The strings and frets are also too close for my playing. I have since stopped using it for pieces with lots of barres especially up the neck. Thanks again and best regards.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”