leg falling asleep with guitar support

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
eclipse

leg falling asleep with guitar support

Post by eclipse » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:13 am

I've been using a dynarette for several weeks, and felt great practicing with it for about an hour or two each day. But this week, I've found my left leg falling asleep after playing for a while. I'm not sure whether it's because of the weight of the support along with the guitar, or as a dance teacher has once told me, that any position could cause injury if held for too long without a break. Am thinking about shifting between using the guitar support and footstool during practice in order to avoid staying in any position for too long, and wondering whether anyone has had a similar experience using their support.

Vesuvio

Re: leg falling asleep with guitar support

Post by Vesuvio » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:34 am

Hello Eclipse,

What are you sitting on? Does it provide firm support?

I think your dance teacher had a point. As guitarists we do tend to sit still for long periods and I think the key to doing so without problems is to make sure our posture is relaxed and balanced, rather than being maintained through muscular action.

This may be of interest to you:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37826

Best wishes, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Brent Hutto

Post by Brent Hutto » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:13 pm

Lately I've pretty much settled on using my Dynarette rather than the Neck-Up. I never play two hours at a stint but in even 30-40 minutes I can start getting a little ache or tingle in one place or another. I find as small a change as "turning the other cheek", for lack of a better phrase, will avoid the one-position syndrome. At least for my limited duration sessions remembering to rock my weight one way or another by just a couple inches frequently works just as well as alternating between entirely different positions. The problems come from locking into one very fixed positioning which is a bad thing, although it may be good for our consistency of technique.

eclipse

Post by eclipse » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:09 am

I've switched to a much lower chair position and that does help a lot taking pressure off my legs (have probably been straining a bit trying to keep the dynarette in balance when the chair position is higher.) Am also taking breaks after 30 minutes or so just walking around and loosening up, but sometimes, when the going is good, it's hard to stop playing! Thanks for all the good advice!

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:01 am

Vesuvio wrote:What are you sitting on? Does it provide firm support?

I think your dance teacher had a point. As guitarists we do tend to sit still for long periods and I think the key to doing so without problems is to make sure our posture is relaxed and balanced, rather than being maintained through muscular action.
I usually practice sitting on a desk chair. I noticed a tendency for my left "cheek" to go to sleep on me using a footstool after a while, but have never had a problem with the Dynarette.

The padding on the desk chair had compressed somewhat after a few years of "power sitting". Hubby bought a new one (ours were the same age) but ended up returning it, as it exuded a noxious odor apparently from the infused fire retardant chemicals.

He bought a Tempur-Pedic cushion designed for use with a wheelchair to use with his old chair and was so happy with it, he bought me one, too. Ain't love grand? It doesn't get much more romantic than someone buying you a butt pad to sit on. :D

I can honestly say it makes a big difference in sitting comfort and helps relieve any pressure on the posterior caused by a harder surface. Of course, posture still matters a lot.

robertboileau

Post by robertboileau » Tue May 12, 2009 12:23 pm

eclipse wrote:I've found my left leg falling asleep after playing for a while.
Same problem here. I've only been using the dynarette for about 4 or 5 months. Right away I noticed that extended praticed numbed my left foot (not whole leg though). In the past month or so I've been trying to let the guitar sit in front of me. Like it's suspended on my leg and not lean in on it. This is done by keeping my back straight and letting my arms fall loose on the guitar, especially right arm. That seems to help with not only the numbed foot but also my overall relaxation. My technique with this device is still in the experimental stages so if somebody else has more advice...

cn90

Post by cn90 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:07 pm

Search the internet for Sciatic Nerve and you will see why.
Many people, especially computer workers who sit many hours a day have this problem.
So whether you use Dynarette or not, it may not be relevant, you may have Sciatica.
Best is to take frequent breaks.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”