Returning to rigorous practice routine.

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
cementpizza

Returning to rigorous practice routine.

Post by cementpizza » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:27 pm

I'm re-commitng myself to classical guitar study and really enjoying.

However, my 5 hour a day practice routine still eludes me.

I've been practicing again for about 3 days and so far I can only get about 1.5 - 2.5 hours before my wrist starts to seize up and my hand hurts like crazy.

LOL, I guess it's important that I don't jump in so hard and work my way back up.

What do you all think?

pogmoor

Re: Returning to rigorous practice routine.

Post by pogmoor » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:05 pm

I guess you need to build up gradually - if you do too much you risk injury :!:
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Kammes

Post by Kammes » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:17 am

I have found that keeping an eye on the clock helps. Every 20-30 minutes and just after a demanding warm-up, i take about 3 minutes to stand and shake the monotonous posture out of me. What do you usually do when practicing so long? Where are your rests? It sounds like you have done 5 hour shifts before - how did your body react then?

cementpizza

Post by cementpizza » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:18 pm

Hello yes.
I used to do them years ago.

I've taken two days off. I REALLY over did it.

My whole left side... ribs and shoulders are killing me.

I'll practice a while tonight though.

I was able to do those w/no problem but I built up.

I'll take a break every half hour for about 5 minutes.

guitarrafrontenac

Post by guitarrafrontenac » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:33 pm

I've recently begun playing again after several years away from the guitar. Posture concerns and aches & pains have been part of my daily routine over the last few months.

Like Kammes said, I've also found that taking a brief break before I start to ache someplace is the best solution for good practice time. If I wait until something hurts, it's already too late and any subsequent exercises are wasted by attempting to compensate for discomfort and poor ergonomics.

I try and keep a mirror in the room I'm practicing in - for me at least, it helps immensely with correct posture. I don't have a video camera or else I'd tape myself for review.

The other thing I've had to come to grips with, is that not everyday is a "top form" day, at least for now. What I mean, is that I have days where I can play accurately and with expression, but the conscious effort is too much. Other days, I play to my best and I'm not really paying attention to what I'm doing with my hands, it just flows out. I try and mentally adjust to what kind of "day" I'm having, attempting to limit frustration that way.

One last thought, and something that has made a big difference in the short time I've been playing again - having a pre-determined practice routine is 1000 times better than not. :D

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”