Cold fingers as a result of poor blood circulation

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Mrs Segovia

Cold fingers as a result of poor blood circulation

Post by Mrs Segovia » Wed May 06, 2009 1:48 am

I am a guitarist that is unfortunately afflicted with poor blood circulation in her hands. i have had this all my life is there some kind of medical condition i have that I am not aware of or is this normal . Sometimes it makes guitar playing uncomfortable cause of the feeling in my hands .not to mention shaking people's hands after playing a good performance usually scares them off once they touch my hands ....I guess it back to do Giuliani's 120 right hand exercises to warm them up .

JinMe

Re: Cold fingers as a result of poor blood circulation

Post by JinMe » Thu May 07, 2009 12:05 am

Hi Mrs S -
In colder weather I am subject to "Raynaud's phenomenon" that causes my fingers to become numb with a loss of color (i.e., the tips turn white due to restricted blood flow). The phenomenon occurs as a result of the spasm of blood vessels. You might google the term and see if it sounds like something that affects you. When it happens, I exercise my fingers and usually stick them in some available warm place.

Janet

Mrs Segovia

Post by Mrs Segovia » Thu May 07, 2009 12:14 am

my fingers are alright just very cold to the touch good thing i quit smoking but could it be an adverse reaction to the cigarettes I used to smoke ?

60moo

Post by 60moo » Thu May 07, 2009 12:24 am

Mrs Segovia - The surprise reaction to a handshake made me think of Raynaud's as well, given you've had this all your life. Cooler weather brings it on, and for some who have it, their other extremeties e.g. feet are also affected. Quite common amongst women (1 in 5), and calcium-channel blocker medication to open up the capillaries helps a lot. I have this situation, but it's a good idea to see the doctor just to make sure.

Regards, Moo.
Last edited by 60moo on Thu May 07, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noadman

Post by Noadman » Thu May 07, 2009 12:27 am

JinMe wrote: In colder weather I am subject to "Raynaud's phenomenon" that causes my fingers to become numb with a loss of color
Interesting to see this mentioned. I have been told I also have this syndrome, and I guess I should learn more about it.

Noadman
Heaven puts its price on all things.

Mrs Segovia

Post by Mrs Segovia » Thu May 07, 2009 3:35 am

oddly enough my feet are freezing ...jumping in bed usually helps ...but oddly enough my hands are still freezing ..wouldn't this go away on its own by now or is there something else I need to do to make it go away like wear gloves. now i am kinda worried I have enough issues with my body as it stand dont need another one ..lol . carpel tunnel in my right wrist is enough for me right now lol

ducktape8969

Post by ducktape8969 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:47 am

i think i have both carpal tunnel and this.

all those symptoms are true.

and when i move my pinky now, some muscle in my forearm twitches.

i get the results from my nerve tests in 2 weeks.

:)

anyway. what causes this? im adopted so it could be a number of things

Mrs Segovia

Post by Mrs Segovia » Thu May 07, 2009 4:42 am

I was a premature baby when I was born maybe that has something to do with it

ducktape8969

Post by ducktape8969 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:18 pm

yeah, dude,

it seems like, everything that could go wrong, has lately.

dsgoen

Post by dsgoen » Sat May 16, 2009 3:28 am

I had exactly the same symptoms for about 3/4s of my life: extremely cold feet and hands. I was also extremely underweight for my height. I hated playing gigs in the winter because I was usually into the second set before my hands started thawing. I used to run to the bathroom to run hot water on my hands before playing again.

Then I started taking an anti-cholesterol medication that made me nauseas. The only thing that made the nausea go away was to eat. So I ate. And ate. And gained about 40 pounds.

Now my feet and hands are not only not cold, I usually verge on comfortably hot.

You know what? There are worse things than cold hands.

David

(Unfortunately, a completely true story) :(

dsgoen

Post by dsgoen » Sat May 16, 2009 3:39 am

i get the results from my nerve tests in 2 weeks.

I have peripheral neuralgia in my feet that makes my feet feel both numb and like small rocks are permanently embedded into the soles of my feet. I was tested for this condition. The doctor spent an hour sticking electrified needles into various parts of my anatomy, each of which felt like a bee sting.

After an hour of this, the doctor told me that I have peripheral neuralgia in my feet that makes my feet feel both numb and like small rocks are permanently embedded into the soles of my feet. I told him I was already aware of that before the electric needles. So I asked what treatment was available and effective. He answered: "Nothing."

But at least I know that I have the pain that I already knew I had! :D

Oh, by the way, in my case it was hereditary. Both my mother and one of my sisters have the same symptoms. They never once mentioned it to me until I told them about my tests. You don't have to be adopted to not know what the heck is going on in your genes!

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat May 16, 2009 7:38 am

I used to find in my late 20s and early 30s when my life had become rather sedentary, that my hands and feet got cold. In my mid 30s I started running regularly as way of getting some exercise and I've found so many benefits in different areas of my life from doing this that I have continued ever since.

One very definite change was that my hands and feet became much warmer - so much so that I stopped wearing boots and changed from wool to cotton socks. I don't know if excercise would help in your case Mrs Segovia, but it's a thought!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Sat May 16, 2009 10:15 am

Hi Mrs S I always used to have cold hands and feet even in the summer. I then started treatment for my arthritis with an acupuncturist and it's made a huge difference. She said she was going to treat my circulation and that would help the arthritis. Now my hands are rarely abnormally cold and when I do get cold I warm up so much quicker than before. Hope this helps.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”