Frustrated With The Runaway Pinky I am Need Of Help Badly

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Mrs Segovia

Frustrated With The Runaway Pinky I am Need Of Help Badly

Post by Mrs Segovia » Wed May 06, 2009 3:16 am

I need some help here ....my right hand seems to be balanced with the right amount of finger interdependence . My left hand on the other hand still has the case of the run away pinky it still has attendance to over extend before it touches the string . I have proper positioning and I am totally relaxed when I play but my left hand still gives me trouble after all these years ...what could it be ?. i wasn't always I classical guitarist I played Metal guitar for a number of years before returning to classical guitar is there any exercises for the left hand that will break my odd movement of the little finger .I hear that the pinky isn't a very strong finger to begin with and interdependence between the ring and middle fingers takes time to develop because of the way the tendons in the hands are constructed . I need help badly !!!! i want to correct this bad posture of my left hand .It seems my left hand is always giving me the issues as of late .

Lorette

Re: Frustrated With The Runaway Pinky I am Need Of Help Badly

Post by Lorette » Wed May 06, 2009 3:44 am

Hi Tiffany.

I had a similar problem with my left hand index finger. It wanted to pop up when not in use. Scott Tenants "Pumping Nylon" corrected this. There are some excellent exercises at the beginning of the book which develope finger independance and co-ordination for both hands and a lot of other good stuff. I highly recommend it. :D

Mrs Segovia

Post by Mrs Segovia » Wed May 06, 2009 4:11 am

I own the book but it has been awhile since I used it ....looks like I should dust it off and give it a go.I should also give my former teachers a call ....I would love to study under them again...although It doesn't make any sense since i study guitar as a performance major in college but nonetheless it would be nice to get some extra help . And it doesn't hurt to ask right ?

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed May 06, 2009 10:36 am

Lorette wrote:I had a similar problem with my left hand index finger. It wanted to pop up when not in use. Scott Tenants "Pumping Nylon" corrected this. There are some excellent exercises at the beginning of the book which develope finger independance and co-ordination for both hands and a lot of other good stuff. I highly recommend it. :D
I can definitely second Lorette's recommendation. There is an exercise in that book called "Odair's Favorite Drill" that has been really helpful to me in developing control of the left hand fingers.

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Wed May 06, 2009 8:54 pm

Mrs Segovia wrote:I should also give my former teachers a call ....I would love to study under them again...although It doesn't make any sense since i study guitar as a performance major in college but nonetheless it would be nice to get some extra help.
If you really like a former instructor, it would be a good idea to have an occasional "check up" lesson just to prevent or correct bad habits. :ouioui:

Kris

Post by Kris » Wed May 06, 2009 10:58 pm

Tiffany, have a look here for some advice for, what I assume is, the same issue.

'Floating' left hand pinky problem

I recommended an exercise that took care of the problem for me, after more than 20 years of playing with the problem. It seems us rock guitarist don't pay too much attention to these things normally :) If anything, I now play too close to the fretboard!

Kevin also explains a method that is worth considering.

Mrs Segovia

Post by Mrs Segovia » Wed May 06, 2009 11:35 pm

normally some rock guitarists don't use the pinky at all which is probably why mine is so under devloped .

robertboileau

Post by robertboileau » Thu May 07, 2009 3:02 pm

One exercise that really helped left-hand posture is one of John Pettrucci's warm patterns from his Rock Discipline. This one he does a series of hammer-ons and pull-offs based on four-fret patterns.
Ex. do 1-2-1-2-1-2- etc... then, hold down 1 and do >>> 1-3-1-3-1-3- etc..., still holding down 1 >>> 1-4-1-4 etc...
then holding down fingers 1 and 2 >>> 2-3-2-3 etc.., 3-4-3-4 etc...
hold down 1, 2 and 3 >>> 3-4-3-4 etc...

What he doesn't do however is the reverse which is probably where you can get stability with the pinky finger.

hold down 4 and hammer-on / pull-off >>> 1-2-1-2 etc... repeat for >>> 1-3-1-3 etc... (note that there will be no sound because of the stopped 4)
Try different combos of holding down fingers. Like maybe 1 and 4 while h-o / p-o on 2-3-2-3 etc...

Anyways, I know the irony is that this is from a rock video which is what you say might be the source of the habit, but I've recommended these examples to some students of mine and it has worked on straightening out the pinky.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”