Joseph Urshalmi—A Conscious Approach to Guitar Technique

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Vesuvio

Joseph Urshalmi—A Conscious Approach to Guitar Technique

Post by Vesuvio » Thu May 07, 2009 10:19 am

I was intrigued by mention of this book some while ago, I recall Lawrence McDonald commenting on it.

Urshalmi's aim was to produce a reference source for guitarists with problematic technique as a result of bad habits. I have only had time for a quick look through it but his approach seems securely based in physiology and I suspect this would be a good reference for anyone struggling to play through pain or discomfort.

It proved difficult to get hold of a copy but I have now secured one at a reasonable price. Mel Bay were selling the original Chanterelle publication but discontinued it as they were hoping to bring out a reprint themselves—though I think that has not appeared yet. If you are interested, try the Nottingham, UK company "Guitarnotes",

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Re: Joseph Urshalmi—A Conscious Approach to Guitar Technique

Post by Todd Tipton » Thu May 07, 2009 12:31 pm

I have seen an unpublished version of this work sometime ago. In fact, I edited a very early copy of the material but I do not think Urshalmi was pleased with the liberties I took, language barriers, etc. Needless to say, I am intimate with at least one version of this work. This is a significant contribution to guitar literature. Some concepts may be familiar, while others may be very new. Even the familiar concepts may speak to the reader from a different vantage point. Urshalmi is a good read and ought to be on one's library.
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

Vesuvio

Re: Joseph Urshalmi—A Conscious Approach to Guitar Technique

Post by Vesuvio » Mon May 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Hello Todd,

Thank you very much for your input. :)

Perhaps I should also have added that guitarists who do not have any physical symptoms that suggest technical problems may also find this book of interest. Prevention is better than cure etc.,

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”