Decent footstools in the UK?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Blondie

Decent footstools in the UK?

Post by Blondie » Thu May 28, 2009 3:00 pm

MY old footstool is in need of replacement and preferably upgrading. I bought it years ago - the rubber mat on the top peeled away long ago and a few of the rubber feet are missing so its not that stable. It only has three adjustment heights and cannot be set flat (which would be interesting to try).

I'd like to do better this time but can't see much of a choice out there -maybe just two or three different types - so would welcome any pointers on something sturdy, well designed and versatile. I realise we can't post links but I guess its OK to name shops that have a choice of these things.

What are the wooden ones like, for example? They look nice but are they sturdy?

James Lister
Luthier

Re: Decent footstools in the UK?

Post by James Lister » Thu May 28, 2009 4:24 pm

I've had a wooden one for some years, and it's certainly very solid and stable - but again it only has 3 heights, and none of them are quite right for me. I recently went out and bought a metal one, thinking it would be the same as an old one I had with 5 positions, but stupidly I didn't check, and it only has 3 too. I'm thinking of modifying the wooden one with some sort of screw adjustment so that I can set it to the exact height I want.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

David Wade

Post by David Wade » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:47 pm

I bought a wooden one from *bay that was only about a tenner. I has four positions but i had to put some sticky felt pads to stop it skidding around on the pine floor.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:04 pm

Hi Blondie,

The best one I've ever had is a 4 position metal one for £5.95 + p & p, from the site mentioned above. The seller is in Newcastle,

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

David Wade

Post by David Wade » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:49 pm

Sounds like something from Really Useful........?
:D

David Wade

Post by David Wade » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:46 pm

Quite a few turn up on Google but they all look pretty similar.
Last edited by David Wade on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:33 pm

I have a Stagg footstool. Reasonably priced. I got it from the music shop in Chelmsford high street.

Alan

Orion

Post by Orion » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:13 pm

I got an adjustable metal one (with rubber footrest) from the Spanish Guitar Centre in London (Leicester Square). Was about £10 I think. Does the trick for me! :D

David Wade

Post by David Wade » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Clifford Essex used to do a folding wooden one that looks quite smart from the pictures but I don't think it is variable so limited :( but nice furniture :!:

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm not sure if you can get them in the UK, but I recently got a lovely mahogany foot rest made by Kay. Very sturdy, stable, attractive, and has 5 settings. Has a good amount of foot room too.

David Wade

Post by David Wade » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:02 am

I can't see this specifically in the UK but it looks pretty similar to the one I have - great but slippy on a polished floor.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”