Musician Health!

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
kilrathi

Musician Health!

Post by kilrathi » Wed May 25, 2005 3:42 pm

Hello everybody!

I guess there comes a time for every serious musician to think about the reality of 'physical pain' that comes with the love of music. We all want to practice more and more, but lately even I have been experiencing some numbness and pain from the repetition and postures I put my body through.

We're most likely at risk of repetitive injuries above all. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Trigger Finger etc etc are a musician's nightmare. Anyone has more information to share on this? Anyway I'd just like to remind all of us here to relax and give it a break once in a while ;) Especially if you're super-industrious and go on for hours (like myself)

Personally I've no tried-and-true preventive methods and I usually practice till pain sets in. I hope i'm not risking myself to any injuries! I'm spending alot of time because I specialize in more than just one instrument..

Btw here's a good site
http://www.musicianshealth.com/

AndrewHoare

Post by AndrewHoare » Wed May 25, 2005 7:49 pm

I find that Yoga helps me to keep the muscles loose, helps the posture too and also helps for mental focus.
This doesnt mean you have to be up to meet the rising sun every day with a mistical chant.
I just spend about 1/2 an hour a day doing various stretches and concentrating on breathing correctlly.

BobM

Post by BobM » Thu May 26, 2005 2:51 am

Good point andrew,

In my time when I used to study 6-8 hrs a day (more than 20 yrs ago) it helped me a lot. Hatha Yoga for about 1 hr (morning and afternoon), 1hr pool at least twice a week...I don't know how I did it but I had time to party and to go to school. :? Amazing what youth can do! 8)

Happy guitar!

Bob

simon

Post by simon » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:05 pm

hi

just lately i have been experiencing pains in my left hand. a few years ago i suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome and that is not nice at all.

i teach guitar and of course love to play as much as i can but you can overdo it you know!

i try to play for an hour then have a 5-10 min break and then play again.

of course warming up is essential too. how many of us are guilty of not warming up? too many!

Simon
Roger Allan 1937 Hauser + Zoom H4 + GTP3 = Hours of Fun !!!

BalO

Post by BalO » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:36 am

simon wrote: of course warming up is essential too. how many of us are guilty of not warming up? too many!

Simon
This is so true, people are unexperianced with this, they try to do the hard stuff immiditatly and the pain is grate within an hour of practising..
Im always doing warm up excersises, very easy ones. I eaven do the ones that i did when i started to play guitar, and gradualy speed up and make the level higher by the time that goes..

f0008

Post by f0008 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:35 am

you need a balance between the crazy devotion towards music and your common life.

Buckley

Post by Buckley » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:19 pm

Isn't it hard to restrain oneself when there is music to be played? This topic is a good reminder-when the old elbows and wrists start to hurt or the burning in the hand doesn't go away, best to put the instrument down for a little while and chain yourself to wild horses to keep you from picking it up again.

-John.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:33 am

Yeah, the hardest thing often is stopping oneself from overdoing it. It's of utter importance to never reach as far as where you have to put down the guitar for a certain time. A diary could be of help, and taking breaks often helps not only caring for hands, but also keeps concentration at the peak.

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:13 am

I have carpal tunnel, tendinitis and arthritis (the "triple whammy"). I have had to learn to live with it, since the only other (unacceptable) choice would be to give up guitar.

Playing a half hour a day is preferable to playing a 4-hr session once a week.

If your hands hurt, stop!

Chris Davis

Post by Chris Davis » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:33 am

JQ. wrote:
If your hands hurt, stop!
true that. But moreso, it becomes really really important for us to recognize fatigue from pain. Sometimes they come disguised as each other.

I know when my hands are tired, but I can also tell when they hurt from too much playing or incorrect warm up/stretching.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”