Just Received the Murata/Aria Guitar Support

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
papazian

Just Received the Murata/Aria Guitar Support

Post by papazian » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi y'all,

I just received my order for the "Murata" guitar support (sometimes called the "Aria") . I was going to buy an Ergoplay, but after speaking with a chap who sells most of the best-known guitar supports, I decided the "Murata" made the most sense from a design and engineering perspective. I am not disappointed in my choice of supports. :D :D

The Murata/Aria is quite small and light. Once attached to the guitar, the support seems to be just another part of the instrument.

What is refreshing about the product's design is that at the base of a small vertical pipe (at which point it attaches to a nicely designed plastic thigh rest) a hinge allows forward or backward motion without disturbing the overall position of the instrument. :D

The four feet (or jaws) which attach to the bout are both unobtrusive and adjustable. One need adjust the feet (jaws) only finger tight ( via a tiny wing nut) in order to cradle the guitar securely. 8)

Best to all of you.
Gene. :D

Ps: I should add that from now on I'll keep both feet on the floor/ground, when playing the guitar. :D Thanks Mr./Ms. Murata, wherever you are!

Sean

Re: Just Received the Murata/Aria Guitar Support

Post by Sean » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:40 am

Hey, could you post a pic of this contraption?

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:08 am

Jaws

Jaws 2

Vito Simplicio
Composer

Post by Vito Simplicio » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:20 am

Sean wrote:Hey, could you post a pic of this contraption?
Ya mean this "thang." :lol:
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Guitune

Post by Guitune » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:56 am

Thanks a lot guitarviog.

No damage risk for french polished guitars ?

:merci:

papazian

Post by papazian » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:37 pm

Sean,

GuitarVlog beat me to filling your request. :lol:

Gene.

papazian

Post by papazian » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:41 pm

Guitune wrote:Thanks a lot guitarviog.

No damage risk for french polished guitars ?

:merci:
No, it won't damage your French polish! On the other hand, if it does, GuitarVlog will re-French polish your guitar as well as your car, your lawn tractor, and your old shoes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding.
Gene.

Ira

Post by Ira » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:45 pm

I have heard it may damage a french polish guitar.

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:55 pm

papazian wrote:No, it won't damage your French polish! On the other hand, if it does, GuitarVlog will re-French polish your guitar as well as your car, your lawn tractor, and your old shoes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Somewhere in this house, I have a can of shoe polish that I picked-up during a layover in France. I'm sure that qualifies. Hope you like black.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:59 pm

Ira wrote:I have heard it may damage a french polish guitar.
That it does...it made four good sized marks in my old concert guitar...you can see me using it in the video below from 1986.

But that said, it was a long time ago and it is possible (?) there were improvements in the design. From and ergonomic standpoint it is hands down the champ. I just loved using it. I still use it when I practice on my old beater. But when using my concert guitars,I just use the Dynarette, which is the only guitar support, IMHO, guaranteed to do no damage to the instrument.
Mod edit: direct link to copyright protected work removed. Search terms: segoviajr Porcelain Tower
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

Sean

Post by Sean » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:18 am

Simplicio wrote:
Ya mean this "thang." :lol:
Yup, and I must say, the 'thang' looks an awful lot like a device I built to rebuild old carburetors on! But this device doesn't scratch into the guitar?

Guitune

Post by Guitune » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:13 am

This device seems great... for the guitarist.
For his guitar :?: :shock:

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:15 am

segoviajr07 wrote:
Ira wrote:I have heard it may damage a french polish guitar.
That it does...it made four good sized marks in my old concert guitar...you can see me using it in the video below from 1986.

But that said, it was a long time ago and it is possible (?) there were improvements in the design. From and ergonomic standpoint it is hands down the champ. I just loved using it. I still use it when I practice on my old beater. But when using my concert guitars,I just use the Dynarette, which is the only guitar support, IMHO, guaranteed to do no damage to the instrument.
I use a Dynarette because, like you said, it's really the only support I trust to not cause damage. I refuse to use anything that attaches with suction cups or clamps.

papazian

Post by papazian » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:22 pm

Guitune wrote:This device seems great... for the guitarist.
For his guitar :?: :shock:

Hi Guitune,

I'm certainly not a representative of the Murata guitar support company. I'm just a Murata customer. :wink:

All I know is that I've been using the Murata since I've received it. I have not seen any scratches, stains, or other manifestation/indication of damage to the finish of my guitar.

I tighten the support just enough to hold my guitar securely. Then I play.

In fact, the more I use the Murata, the more at home I feel with it. There is, as might be expected, a period of adjusting to not using a footstool.

I'm an empiricist. I try, I observe, I measure (if possible), I compare, and so on, before I conclude. At this point, I believe that any apprehensions concerning the Murata's performance and design integrity/safety are unfounded (empirically, that is). :D

Best,
Gene.

akuleana

Post by akuleana » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:15 pm

Kevin Loh uses one, check out his videos on YouTube.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”