Bowing

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
flamenco diablo

Bowing

Post by flamenco diablo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:00 pm

I know this isnt the right forum, but I dont feel like signing up to a new forum and using it once, anyways does anyone else use bowed instruments and know how to get rid of the pain in your hand when playing for over an hour.

JQ.

Re: Bowing

Post by JQ. » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:57 pm

flamenco diablo wrote:I know this isnt the right forum...
And why wouldn't it be? Pain in your hands is still pain in your hands, whether it comes from fretting, plucking, picking or bowing. :)

My best advice would be to play shorter sessions, or at least take regular breaks to stretch and relax your muscles. When we are in the same position for any length of time, I think we tend to build up muscle tension.

At any rate, I am also interested in hearing what others have to say on this topic. I have carpal tunnel, tendinitis and arthritis (I call it the "triple whammy") and have had to learn to be gentle with myself. As tempting as it might be for me to play several hours straight, I know my body just can't handle it. :(

flamenco diablo

Post by flamenco diablo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:43 pm

I had to play for 2 hours straight today on double bass for a preformance with the only breaks being the conductor announcing the song.

APribilski

Post by APribilski » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:21 am

Which hand, and how long have you been playing? Is the string tension comaparable to those for CG? ie: med/normal, and hards?

flamenco diablo

Post by flamenco diablo » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:52 am

I've been on double scince about late november I think it was. And theres lots of string tension, im lucky if I can get the A in tune. Its my bowing hand thats hurting btw.

Trystramys

Post by Trystramys » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:53 am

i am assuming you are playing in a group, so why not ask one of the other ensemble members for advice on this? i'm sure they'll be able to give you a few helpful tips. :D

Michael

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:56 am

Whew! I always understood that double bass players had very strong hands!

Playing one of those things for two hours would certainly do some damage I am certain of it.
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
(Frank Zappa)

APribilski

Post by APribilski » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:08 pm

are you maybe clenching/holing the bow too tightly, like when we hold the neck too tightly? Maybe it's mainly a muscle fatigue thing..... :?

flamenco diablo

Post by flamenco diablo » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:20 pm

Trystramys wrote:i am assuming you are playing in a group, so why not ask one of the other ensemble members for advice on this? i'm sure they'll be able to give you a few helpful tips. :D
I would but im the only one who plays double bass or any stringed instrument for that matter in the particular ensemble.

mrcold

Post by mrcold » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:03 am

try bending your fingers and using more of the tips of them instead of keeping them straigt.. especially the thumb. make a kind of "claw" figure with your hand.

Cody

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”