foot stool ergoplay or dynarette etc.,

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Edward Aviza
Amateur luthier

Re: foot stool ergoplay or dynarette etc.,

Post by Edward Aviza » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 pm

HA! I missed the video on my first look at your site, but just watched it now. Very impressive! Love the paint can demo. The installation demo is great as well, you answered just about all of my questions with that one. So, the support is pretty easy to detach by just pulling it away from the body when you're done playing?

Another question: does the adhesive used for the interior magnets affect the wood in any way over time?
2005 Kenneth Hill Signature double-top, spruce face, 7-fan
National Steel Dobro
2017 Gibson SG Traditional
2005 Gibson SG faded

DJM

Post by DJM » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:14 pm

The Barnett Guitar Support looks really interesting. I like the way it is adjustable in so many directions. I have just bought a Gitano support but I still can't really get comfortable with it.
Presumably the additional weight of the magnets doesn't affect the resonance of the instrument in any way though?

kris barnett

Post by kris barnett » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:06 pm

The adhesive used to hold the magnets in place is engineered to release cleanly and easily even after years of installation. It is a product manufactured by 3M. We have went through exhaustive testing to ensure it releases from different woods and it works as intended. After installation the support can be removed easily and the adhesive holds the magnets securely in place. A benefit of this design is that the support will 'find' the proper location each time it is placed on the instrument ensuring fast and consistent setup.

The weight and size of the magnets is so small and they are placed in a relatively inert part of instrument (the sides) so they will not have any appreciable effect on the sound. In fact, my magnetic armrests use similar magnets and one of the purposes is to improve the sound.

Sorry, I just realized I unintentionally hijacked the thread. If people are interested I will start a new thread and answer any questions there. My apologies :oops:

Edward Aviza
Amateur luthier

Post by Edward Aviza » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:36 pm

kris barnett wrote:Sorry, I just realized I unintentionally hijacked the thread. If people are interested I will start a new thread and answer any questions there. My apologies :oops:
Kris, please don't apologize, your comments are appropriate for this thread, and besides, I'm the one that mentioned you in this context so your responses are perfectly acceptable. I think you should be touting this product to the high heavens as it looks like something a LOT of us can really appreciate. You should consider (if you have them ready in time) going to the GAL conference this summer, and hitting the NAMM shows. You have created something here that looks phenomenal and solves a lot of problems players have experienced over the years. I'd say, pat yourself on the back and then go out and SELL the heck out of these!
2005 Kenneth Hill Signature double-top, spruce face, 7-fan
National Steel Dobro
2017 Gibson SG Traditional
2005 Gibson SG faded

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Thu May 01, 2014 6:10 am

I saw one of the first prototype models in Charleston at the GFA Guitar Convention in 2012 and I'm glad to see that the final product is finally being released. At that time I told you I'd be interested in giving it a try. God knows I've tried all the other supports available and now they're gathering dust in my garage. Yours looks like it will do the job. If it really works, my back will be ever so happy :D

Marty Casey

Post by Marty Casey » Mon May 05, 2014 6:19 pm

Kris,

Some comments on the site. It looks great and very easy to navigate. Speaking as a software developer, the animation is really well done and unexpected.

However. Unless i missed it I saw pictures of the support in different positions, I saw videos of the install and paint can test but no video of the device in use. I believe it would be more effective to have a video of the support in action while a player is playing in the different positions. Short 10-15 seconds clips in each position would probably be all that is needed.

If it makes sense show the player playing in one position and then readjusting to a different position and start playing again.

Your support looks great. SInce I frequently play both my classical and a steel string I would be using this on multiple guitars, positions and environments. As a gadget guy I am very intrigued. I have never used a support but your support looks like a classy piece of equipment potentially worth a closer look at.

Good luck and great job on the site and if I missed the action video just point me in the right direction.

Marty

a human

Post by a human » Tue May 06, 2014 12:19 am

I mix and match between using a footstool and a Dynarette. I am of the opinion that not always doing the same thing the same way allows your body to rest and compensate differently. It is the same with both riding horses and doing athletics - we work on different muscle groups and performance types to avoid overuse of one part of the anatomy and give muscles a rest period. I would also suggest some "egoscue" style positions from Peter Egoscue's book "Pain Free to" allow your musculature to relax and reform the skeleton in a more neutral position. The book has programs based on where you are feeling pain - back, hip, shoulder, neck, etc. This is from a horse person and certified Equine Sports Massage Therapist that tries to play a guitar.

P.S. Amended to add you can use books of various thicknesses and/or the Dynarette to change the positions each day.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

skipintro

Post by skipintro » Fri May 16, 2014 1:55 pm

I still haven't found out why straps are not preferred. I've fitted one to my old classical guitar and the benefits are obvious and immediate - easy to hold firmly in a variety of positions whether sitting or standing, without any of the usual aches and cramps. Playing improves too.
I'm about to fit one to my latest (Yamaha GC41).

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”