foot stool ergoplay or dynarette etc.,

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Marc Pilon

Re: foot stool ergoplay or dynarette etc.,

Post by Marc Pilon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:33 pm

I'm in the process of trying varying sitting positions and guitar supports.

I've tried the Murata with clamps, but, to me, it felt like a prosthesis. So far, I like the Dynarette best due to its utter simplicity and absence of moving parts. I've yet to try the Kris Barnett support; I'm on a waiting list for one.

Essentially, I think supports are a good idea. I can't play with a footstool at all. Using a guitar strap is also a good option, albeit one that involves drilling holes and installing strap buttons.

Another point to consider is avoiding a static playing position for too long. Sometimes, I'll shift between using with the Dynarette and just playing with my legs crossed to raise the guitar, somewhat like Ricardo Gallen. That, plus taking frequent breaks and stretching.

Cheers,

Marc

kcc

Post by kcc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:42 am

BTierney wrote:Does anyone know if the suction cups will harm a cashew finish? I have a 1974 Kohno 20 and would like to "avoid any unpleasantness."
Been using ergo play for a month on a Toshihiko Nakade with cashew finish. It looks all right so far but guess it might take a bit more testing time before we can have a better conclusion.

Marc Pilon wrote: Essentially, I think supports are a good idea. I can't play with a footstool at all. Using a guitar strap is also a good option, albeit one that involves drilling holes and installing strap buttons.

Another point to consider is avoiding a static playing position for too long. Sometimes, I'll shift between using with the Dynarette and just playing with my legs crossed to raise the guitar, somewhat like Ricardo Gallen. That, plus taking frequent breaks and stretching.

Cheers,

Marc
Totally agree Marc. Generally, I feel supports are a better option to footstool. Other than constant breaks, consciousness to body/muscle tension is also very important.

Smith

Post by Smith » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:06 am

I can't emphasize exercise enough - especially swimming. I use a footstool. But the act of sitting for long periods wears on me. I try to get to the community pool as often as possible, fairly regularly, and kick my legs as much as possible. The positive results are immediately noticeable. Instead of dangling my right leg to the side when I'm practicing, I tuck it under the chair, which raises the guitar and is a lot more comfortable to play. Yoga might give a similar result. There is just something about swimming....

es335

Post by es335 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:00 pm

BTierney wrote:Does anyone know if the suction cups will harm a cashew finish? I have a 1974 Kohno 20 and would like to "avoid any unpleasantness."
I'm using different supports and a QT-armrest with suctions cups on my Sakurai-Kohno and never had any "unpleasantness" that could be remove with a dry polishing cloth.

BTW I am not sure if cashew finish is used for the complete guitar rather than just for the top?!?

Regardless of yes or no the high gloss finish of the back and sides is a perfect background for suction cups.
Never had any issue to make them stick rather than to remove them! :wink: :D

sobonick

Post by sobonick » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:45 am

My idea is that the traditional posture with the footstool is very nice and not that uncomfortable. For two to three hours it´s ok. Now for those who play more, a support may be a necessity.

doug

Post by doug » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm a beginner, and when I first started playing a classical guitar, I got on this site and read about posture. I decided to go with a Dynarette cushion instead of a footstool. The cushion tends to slip around a bit on certain pants, so I remedied this by using a small piece of non-slip shelf liner. Eventually, I tried a footstool, and liked it better than the cushion. I only practice between a half hour and an hour a day, so I haven't experienced any discomfort or back problems whatever. ....and the footstool is just easier to use! ....and it's cheaper.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

Music Therapy Guitarist

Post by Music Therapy Guitarist » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:36 am

I have used a large (they also come in small, depending on what height you desire) dynarette cushion for two years now, and it is wonderful. I'm a tall person, and footstool use would cut off circulation in my entire leg after twenty minutes of playing, and I began to develop some back trauma. I went with the dynarette because I didn't want to use anything with suction cups, or additional ad-ons to the guitar i.e. the Shearer guitar strap, or anything that uses magnets. The cushion works beautifully, and my pinched nerve pack pain has gone away from using it instead of a footstool. I recommend it if you want something simple, 30$, and no risk of damaging your guitar finish.

baybridge88

Post by baybridge88 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:30 am

Recently, I was able to spend more time with my CG. I used to have a footstool. But then I found this forum and learn about other support. I took my chance with the large Dynarette. Just like another poster, I found that I need to still use the footstool at it lowest setting to get the best position (I was sitting on the regular dining chair). One thing that I noticed that it is much much better on my back then the footstool (which I used to set at the highest notch). I am 5'9'', and only 130lbs, but I do feel a difference with my back.
Also, other posters mentioned that the Dynarette does not provided a high enough support. Today, I tried a lower seat, and the Dynarette proved to be a little high, so the lesson is that it depend what is the level of the left thigh where you put the Dynarette. That would be the variable to adjust to make the best out of the Dynarette. It is convenient, nothing to attach to the guitar. To me, it work really well.

graceman

Post by graceman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:20 am

I think there is no doubt that using a footstool - in the long run could inflict some back pains. The most ergonomically correct sitting position is with both feets solidly planted in the ground in approx. a 90 degree angle. - This also allows you to maintain the best (straight) position for your back. Try to imagine that you are walking with two different shoes - high heels on you left foot and - flat heels on you right... yeah - you are going to hump a bit I think. Basically i'ts the same with a footstool. Eventually you are going to skew your back spine. - If you are practising a lot, and don't pay attention to the pain-signals you recieve from your back.

On the other hand...I think an old fashioned footstool is brilliant because it allows you to change the elevation. I have tried (and also regurlarly use) a cushion - but lack the flexibility in adjustment. Or maybe there are things around that allows this?
"..don't be afraid to miss a note. Being afraid is the only way you are sure to miss it.."

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Try the Ergoplay, I just started using the Tröster model, and I love it.

Clean Channel

Post by Clean Channel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:45 am

I dig the gitano.

BTierney

Post by BTierney » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:58 pm

I picked up the Ergoplay Troster version and am very satisfied. There has been no harm to the cashew finish.

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:08 am

I just ordered an apparently new model of the A Frame support. This new one is called the multi-instrument model that has suction cups that attach to the BACK of the instrument. Since commercial links aren't allowed, check it out at Mel Bay or Strings by Mail. I hope to report on it soon.

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:05 pm

Both of my guitars have raised fingerboards (or more accurately, tapered tops). I find that the suction cups don't have enough room on the side of my guitars to stay adhered securely for very long. I've merely accepted this and reseated the suction cups every 10 minutes or so, habitually.

Now, A Frame had this "Why didn't I think of that" idea, and placed the suction cups on the back of the guitar. After two practice sessions, this new model is quickly becoming my favorite support.

andylegrand

Post by andylegrand » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:43 am

I believe there are thin plastic films that can be placed in the areas where suction cups are placed to protect finishes. I have used a support with a suction cup for over a year now on a French polished gutiar.... no evidence of wear.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”