foot stool ergoplay or dynarette etc.,

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
andylegrand

Re: foot stool ergoplay or dynarette etc.,

Post by andylegrand » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:47 am

I encourage any of my students with back pain to use a support, and proper posture and exercise. I personally use a Neckup. It is flexible and folds nicely into my cases.

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:32 am

+1 for the Ergoplay. I've been using the Tappert model for a couple of weeks and am liking it. Before this I was using the large Dynarette cushion.

I'm using the Ergoplay on both my GVR guitars and have had no problems with adhesion or marks on the finish.
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:41 pm

andylegrand wrote:I encourage any of my students with back pain to use a support, and proper posture and exercise. I personally use a Neckup. It is flexible and folds nicely into my cases.
Sitting for a long time and doing precise and complicated work using many muscles in your body is obvious reason for the back pain... Footstool is definitely worst thing possible to create for the purpose of having back pain...
I'm playing guitar more than 45 years every day and have very bad back (maybe because for years I played a lot using footstool :) too ) but for many years now I have no problems playing as long as I need and want, because I play standing with the strap.
Why not to play standing?
sitting with guitar is bad for someone's back ...

ShawnNY

Post by ShawnNY » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:24 am

I just ordered the Neckup 5 Inch support. I saw the Canadian Guitar Quartet play on Sunday night (wonderful show btw) :bravo: , and Julien Bisaillon was using one. I really like the way it looked. I decided to give it a try. It should be here this Friday :wink:

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:26 am

Let us know how you like it.

ShawnNY

Post by ShawnNY » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:42 am

Supperconductor wrote:Let us know how you like it.
I will!...I also ordered a Dynarette...I figured, why not...I'm in a very experimental stage right now 8) ..ha!

Beth F-R

Post by Beth F-R » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:15 pm

I used to use ergoplay, now I prefer dynarette. I think no matter which support is right for you, it's really important to get up and walk around and stretch every 15 minutes. Set a timer if you can't remember to do that.

Beth F-R

ShawnNY

Post by ShawnNY » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Beth F-R wrote:I used to use ergoplay, now I prefer dynarette. I think no matter which support is right for you, it's really important to get up and walk around and stretch every 15 minutes. Set a timer if you can't remember to do that.

Beth F-R
I agree with that..Sometimes I feel so stiff from being in that position for too long. I am working on ways to play more relaxed, and not tense up when I play. This is the reason that I'm trying different types of guitar supports. Often, I feel as though I am "holding" the guitar from slipping around with my right arm when I play. Not good :D

FHC

Post by FHC » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:00 pm

I have tried so many. I have settled in on using the Dynarette sometimes and the Murata other times.

ShawnNY

Post by ShawnNY » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:37 am

I just received my Neckup support this Monday. So far, I'm liking it. I need more time with it, but cool so far

CurtVal

Post by CurtVal » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:58 pm

I've tried a whole bunch of supports over the years. A-Frame, Ergoplay, NeckUp, Dynarette. Each one, I've went through periods where I would use one exclusively. I, however, have found that the Dynarette is the best for me. No ruined finishes, very comfortable etc. The only downside, is that it is not adjustable. So if you are performing and the seat you are given is too low or too high, it can be uncomfortable. So when I perform, i almost always go back to a footstool. But regardless of the support or footstool you use, you should always stretch before you practice and take breaks every 15min or so. That way you can get up move around and stretch. I also use the breaks as a way to "reset" my body posture.

Impy

Post by Impy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:31 pm

I'm using an Ergoplay and in total I'm happy with it, but the suction cups are very annoying to me and I'm not even performing where it would be really annoying if the support falls off on stage. So I ordered a Murata GR-2, but it'll take a while until it finally arrives here in Germany. I set my hopes in this suction-free system, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

yannhk

Post by yannhk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:58 am

I have a Murata GR-2 and it works perfectly fine to me. It is very simple to install. It simply gives you a feeling of "normal sitting" and there is nearly no pressure on your back. I can practice like 45 minutes without feeling any back tiredness. It is also adjustable to fit your favorite height.

Recently I have ordered a large Dynarette cushion which should be arriving in early February. I am really looking forward to it for giving me comfortable practice experience.

I also have a footstool at home but rarely use it. Perhaps I do not really enjoy putting my left foot for long hours (even with a break every 30 mins). Of course, it is a personal preference.

riemsesy

Post by riemsesy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 am

What I also should take into account is how enthousiast the beginner is. Is it for the short term or for the long term. What is the student willing and capable of to invest?

a very small support and for me also practical is the Quadrest™ Guitar Support OH-25
and on e bay one can find the same thing for under 15 dollars
Best regards, Richard Frank
-Yamaha GC22s
-Raimundo 128c

dbeau

Post by dbeau » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:56 am

I know that this will expose me to criticism BUT after using footstools, a dynarette, and neckup for several years I now use nothing and with both feet flat on the floor. My teacher does this (not in performance) but with a shorter chair (adjustrite) and placing the upper bout atop my left thigh and opening the spread of the right leg allows me to position the guitar comfortably (stable) and accessible to both hands while allowing the shoulders to 'hang' more naturally and relaxed. Been doing this for about 6 months to date and so far so good. It sure makes playing almost anywhere easier - just need the guitar and a low sitting place.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”