foot stool ergoplay or dynarette etc.,

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
skipintro

Re: foot stool ergoplay or dynarette etc.,

Post by skipintro » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:35 pm

I screwed them on in a beautiful hand crafty way! Looks nicer than plastic suckers, mobius strips and other alternatives suggested, and a lot more convenient than a foot stool.
Not really a modification - just another bit of hardware like tuners - they are screwed on too.
Many of the older ones already have a button at the bottom.

dory

Post by dory » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:55 am

I received my Dynarette in the mail today, understanding that I had to learn to use it, as I had come to the emd of the road with my foiotstool--at least for the time being--until my hip heals. Even then I am going to have to be careful, obviously. I do like that I don't have to screw it or stick it onto my guitar. In that way it feels sort of like a foot stool--it positions my guitar but is not attached to it. I also like that it is soft and almost "cuddly." The hardest thing for me is that it is forcing me to play with correct posture for the first time in a long time. I had been putting my foot stool lower and lower, and hunching over my guitar to (try to) avoid the inevitable pain from playing. Yes, it is a bit of an adjustment but not as hard as I expected.
Dory

dory

Post by dory » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:35 am

I was able to play for 2 hours yesterday using my Dynarette with no pain! Whoo Hoo!
Dory

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:49 am

Glad this is working for you, Dory. I'm seriously considering giving one of these a try as I am beginning to have a lot of mid back discomfort from the footstool, it seems.
- Donnie

dory

Post by dory » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:21 am

I really recommend getting something before you have serious problems--not after. I am slowly recovering from the back and hip pain I developed from my foot stool. I think I caught it in time because every day I am better. I still feel pain when I first stand up after sitting, although I no longer have any pain walking, so I think I caught my problem just in time. My feeling is that even alternating between the foot stool and another device may be enough tomorevent injury. I know 2 professional players who are disabled from back pain due to excessive use of a foot stool so this is something to take seriously.
Dory

gregwhite

Post by gregwhite » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:26 am

I have found some advice from my teacher about keeping the guitar neck at a smaller angle to the ground (that is, the tuning pegs about level with my shoulder) has helped a lot using just the footstool so that the upper part of my leg is parallel to the ground. This was good for releasing tension out of my shoulders and upper back/neck. Of course this was just my experience, and might be just only good for me.

DJM

Post by DJM » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:06 am

I've always had back problems when using a footstool in the conventional position. Perhaps that's why I moved more into playing jazz as I could sit more comfortably or stand with a strap. A guitarist/composer friend of mine in Colombia plays in a non traditional way with a footstool under his left foot. I find that when I play like this it is a lot more comfortable although I'm sure someone will tell me about the disadvantages. Nevertheless, it seems to work for him and I love the way he plays. Here are some videos of him playing http://hectorgonzalez.com.co/videos/.

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:21 am

:) You mean RIGHT foot, right?
- Kam

2012 Hippner Hauser SP/IR
[Savarez Corum 500R Normal Basses
La Bella RN-L Rectified Nylon Light Trebles]

GeneWilburn

Post by GeneWilburn » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:07 pm

I'm a beginner and started with a footrest but have never found it very comfortable. It might be because I'm tall and have long legs.

I purchased a Tenuto rest from Calgary, Alberta, Canada and have found it much more comfortable. I think a leg rest is worth trying.

Gene

DJM

Post by DJM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:46 am

Yes I mean Right foot. Sorry!!

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:48 pm

DJM wrote:I've always had back problems when using a footstool in the conventional position. Perhaps that's why I moved more into playing jazz as I could sit more comfortably or stand with a strap. A guitarist/composer friend of mine in Colombia plays in a non traditional way with a footstool under his left foot. I find that when I play like this it is a lot more comfortable although I'm sure someone will tell me about the disadvantages. Nevertheless, it seems to work for him and I love the way he plays. Here are some videos of him playing http://hectorgonzalez.com.co/videos/.
Interesting points!
I personally think that classical guitar is certain kind of instrument, where player using certain general techniques and have generally recognizable sound, because of those techniques...
Jazz is on other hand a style which could be playable on classical guitar as well as on jazz guitar...
It seems like there is a widespread opinion that part of classical guitar essence is a sitting...
I think it is a misconception and have nothing to do with the classical guitar sound or classical guitar techniques...
For someone sitting is a better option for someone standing is.
And play nice jazz on classical guitar sitting or standing as well as on jazz guitar...
Good luck!

Edward Aviza
Amateur luthier

Post by Edward Aviza » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:36 pm

I like the dynarette support. The guitar stays in place comfortably on my left leg and it is easy to place wherever you like at any given moment when you decide to play your instrument. I can also shift slightly while I'm playing if I need to adjust, so that, to me, is a great benefit. When I started playing (33 years ago... tempus fugit!), I used a footstool and I don't recall any alternatives back then. Of course, there was no internet and I only knew what I knew from teachers, books, and music stores. It was the footstool, folks, that's how you played classical guitar. These days, I no longer use a footstool, not because of any long term chronic issues but because I generally feel a lot of muscle tension in my back when using one. Sitting in that kind of asymmetry for long periods of time just can't be good for a human spine. I suppose if I had played more over the years, this would have likely developed into a chronic problem.

I've never heard of the ergoplay but now that you've informed me about it, I googled it. Looks interesting. You should look into Kris Barnett's guitar supports. I think he's working on version 2.0 which may not yet be available, but it is adjustable and uses strong magnets to keep it attached to the guitar. I think this might be a good solution because I suspect the magnets would do a better job of keeping it in place than the suction cups on the ergoplay, but that's just speculation.
2005 Kenneth Hill Signature double-top, spruce face, 7-fan
National Steel Dobro
2017 Gibson SG Traditional
2005 Gibson SG faded

kris barnett

Post by kris barnett » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:45 am

Greetings Everyone,

We are finishing production of the new support and will have it on shelves in the next few weeks. We have put A LOT of effort into this support making it reliable, comfortable, and fully adjustable.

The website is still being edited and we would love to get feedback about the layout, content, etc. Please let us know if you have any thoughts about it or if there is anything we left out.

If you are interested in getting on the email list or letting us hear your ideas please send us an email at:

info@barnettguitarsupports

You will be among the first to know when the support becomes available!

Very interested in hearing your ideas.

http://www.barnettguitarsupports.com

Thanks.
Kris

Edward Aviza
Amateur luthier

Post by Edward Aviza » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Kris, the website looks great. I love the way you can "move" the support virtually on the screen. It really gives a good sense of how the support works and of the flexibility of the design. I'm going to be watching for when these are ready, as it looks like it might be good enough to force me to "retire" the dynarette. The choice of angles is really impressive. GREAT design, looks like a winner to me...

A question: will a customer be able to purchase additional "inside the guitar" magnets? I have two guitars and don't think I'd need to purchase two supports, but rather I'd like the option of buying extra interior magnets so I can use the support on multiple guitars.

One more: what is your anticipated price for this? Have you decided on that yet?
2005 Kenneth Hill Signature double-top, spruce face, 7-fan
National Steel Dobro
2017 Gibson SG Traditional
2005 Gibson SG faded

kris barnett

Post by kris barnett » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks for the input! I think we will be adding some content and moving things around so it flows a little better.

Yes, additional sets of interior magnets will be available so you can switch the support from one guitar to another. The supports are going to be around $95 and we are offering steeply discounted shipping rates in the U.S. We needed the support to function perfectly, but also wanted it to be beautiful so we opted to use solid rosewood for several of the components. We will be releasing another version of the support down the road that will function exactly the same, but will be less expensive.

The support folds to easily fit inside an average case so you don't need to carry it separately. Did you watch the video illustrating the strength of the magnets and the removable adhesive used to hold them in place? Interested in your thoughts as always!

Thanks again!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”