Just Got a New Chair

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Supperconductor

Just Got a New Chair

Post by Supperconductor » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:19 am

I've been taking weekly lessons for about 9 months and finally got fed up with myself at the lack of progress I've made thus far. So about two weeks ago, I started practicing 30-90 minutes daily. I began experiencing discomfort in the form of groin numbness. I had been using a very old draftsman chair with the casters removed (to get the seat as low as possible). The new chair which I will start using tonight is a "Pearl D2500BR Drum Throne with Backrest". I'll report back after a few sessions on it.

George Crocket

Re: Just Got a New Chair

Post by George Crocket » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:39 am

Daily practice is surely the basic requirement for progressing, so you are doing the right thing. If you are experiencing groin discomfort, perhaps splitting your practice sessions with regular breaks would help. Say taking 5 minutes off to stretch your legs after every 20 or 30 minutes?

Of course the right seat helps too.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:44 am

Hi George,

Quite right about the breaks. But I find I can lose myself during practice. Tonight an hour had passed before I stood up and took a break. For this first session at least, the new chair seems to be better than the old one.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:45 am

I'm glad it seemed better. Add a few breaks and it might solve the problem altogether. If you do get los, and I do that too, then just use an alarm clock.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Supperconductor wrote:Hi George,

Quite right about the breaks. But I find I can lose myself during practice. Tonight an hour had passed before I stood up and took a break. For this first session at least, the new chair seems to be better than the old one.
Please try to play standing/moving .
I played 6 hours yesterday standing/moving and normally play around 4 hours nd have no any problems after 43 years of playing :)

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm definitely going to start using a timer, thanks for the tip George and Andrei.

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Back to the topic of the chair, it's working out really well for me. I do wish it could go a smidge lower but at its lowest height is still quite usable for me. I'm heavy (220 LBS) and find the cushion is compliant yet supportive. The only downside of the three legged design is stability. But if I make sure to keep one leg directly behind me, even that is not a problem.

Recommended.

OldC1guy

Post by OldC1guy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:43 am

A couple months ago I bought a four legged stool with a soft top which is just under 24 inches high. Got it Target if I remember. Just one problem, it was a little too high. Problem solved: I raised my foot stool a couple notches and cut a piece of 2 X 6 about a foot long to go under my right foot. I can play for an hour or more very comfortably. Sure beats $300. for one of those custom rigs.
I bought my classical guitar before my first marriage. That didn’t last, but the guitar did; one of the few things she didn't get...

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:39 am

Great idea, I think I'll abscond one of my wives yoga blocks and give that a try.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:33 am

Supperconductor wrote:Great idea, I think I'll abscond one of my wives yoga blocks and give that a try.
how many wives do you have ? :)
and they all doing Yoga? Cool family! :)

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:22 am

Another update:

With the new chair, regular breaks (every 30 minutes or so), I have been able to maintain my new practice schedule. At my most recent lesson, my teacher was very pleased with my progress. I hope I can maintain this enthusiasm and continue developing my skills on the guitar.

And my ***WIFE*** was happy to donate her yoga block for my right foot.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:56 am

Supperconductor wrote:And my ***WIFE*** was happy to donate her yoga block for my right foot.
I'm glad you clarified that for us! I was beginning to worry! :lol:
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:00 am

That's what she said.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:14 am

For those that do use chairs, I personally prefer to keep the chair as low as possible to avoid having to raise the left foot higher which can lead to a lot of discomfort. Also allows the right leg to have a more active role in supporting the guitar. I'm 5' 9" But have very short legs and long body and a 17" chair with a 5-6" footstool seems to be the magic formula. I also use memory foam which helps circulation and comfort.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi Robin,

I'm 5'9" as well. This new Pearl chair seems to have a memory-type foam in the seat which is decent but certainly not as good as Tempur-Pedic type of foams I've seen. I get adequate comfort for about 45 minutes max before having to get up and move around. Since the chair is just a smidgen too high even at its lowest setting, I'm also now using two foot supports, a foot stool for the left, and a (lower height) block for the right. That seems to be working. I'm glad you brought up the memory foam because I might just order a pad of the material to place on the chair. But I have to admit, everything seems "good enough" for now.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”