armrest

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
p_dmusic

armrest

Post by p_dmusic » Tue May 01, 2012 3:13 pm

I have been looking on this forum and I have researched that there are many after-market guitar armrest out there Mukava, Plenosom, John Pearse and the Kris Barnett to name a few. I would like to have one that is not permanent so the John Pearse is out- I can figure out where to order the Mukava but it looks very big compared to the Plenosom. Does anyone know where I might be able to order the Plenosom online? The 2 places that Paulo Bellinati list on his website do not list them. I wish I could get a Kris Barnett arm rest as I remember when those came out but sadly he is not currently making any :(

jeff_hatcher

Re: armrest

Post by jeff_hatcher » Tue May 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Hard to find, but if you google "plenosom", It shows up it on the "Maple Street Guitars" website. http://maplestreetguitars.com/show_item ... m=PLENOSOM.

p_dmusic

Post by p_dmusic » Tue May 01, 2012 5:53 pm

thanks jeff!! I looked and looked for 2 straight days and I couldn't find it! I see that they have the Barnett arm rest in stock as well! I will have to ask them about that.

p_dmusic

Post by p_dmusic » Wed May 02, 2012 2:22 am

Just emailed that company and they said the kids barnett is not in stock he tailors them to each guitar. Also the Plenosom is currently not being made something about the gentleman who makes them he is in process of finding a new manufacture. I guess I am stuck to buying the mukava

jeff_hatcher

Post by jeff_hatcher » Wed May 02, 2012 2:26 am

p_dmusic wrote:Just emailed that company and they said the kids barnett is not in stock he tailors them to each guitar. Also the Plenosom is currently not being made something about the gentleman who makes them he is in process of finding a new manufacture. I guess I am stuck to buying the mukava
Ah... I was considering that one myself. Let me know how that works out for you if you get it. I think Geoff mentioned that he had a Mukava and liked it.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed May 02, 2012 4:52 am

There is also the David Qualey Armrest. Not as good as Barnett but usable:

http://www.david-qualey.de/QT%20Armrest ... mrest.html

best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents
My homepage is: https://www.live-arts.de

p_dmusic

Post by p_dmusic » Wed May 02, 2012 5:56 am

Robert isn't the QT armrest more for smaller guitars to help them feel bigger and fill in that gap to make it feel like a full sized guitar? Does anyone personally own one of these QT armrest? any thoughts on them those who do have them?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed May 02, 2012 7:20 am

p_dmusic wrote:Robert isn't the QT armrest more for smaller guitars to help them feel bigger and fill in that gap to make it feel like a full sized guitar? Does anyone personally own one of these QT armrest? any thoughts on them those who do have them?
No, it is supposed to be an armrest for any guitar. It certainly isn't as elegant as Barnetts' but what are you going to do, if he is not making them anymore?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

jeff_hatcher

Post by jeff_hatcher » Wed May 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Make your own?

p_dmusic

Post by p_dmusic » Wed May 02, 2012 3:03 pm

I try and use some kind of sleeve to help me move my arm more freely over the guitar-which is what I can see the armrest doing, but the armrest is designed also to keep forearm off of top so that the guitar is able to be a little bit louder- in theory

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed May 02, 2012 3:38 pm

p_dmusic wrote:... but the armrest is designed also to keep forearm off of top so that the guitar is able to be a little bit louder- in theory
It protects the most used part of the guitar body (especialy with french polish) from wear of the varnish. And it lets the top vibrate more open, so it's not only louder (not that significantly), but also fuller (quite) in tone with more natural sustain. Not only in theory, in practice too ...

p_dmusic

Post by p_dmusic » Sat May 19, 2012 6:03 am

update on my search for an armrest: I cannot seem to find an armrest the only one I can see available is the Mukata or the John Pearse. I am not really looking to have it permanent on my guitar since I am in search of a new guitar. The every time I look on the QT it does not take me to where i can order it or what it would cost in the states. The mukata seems a little more expensive and now as easily to glide over as others.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat May 19, 2012 6:33 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
p_dmusic wrote:... but the armrest is designed also to keep forearm off of top so that the guitar is able to be a little bit louder- in theory
It protects the most used part of the guitar body (especialy with french polish) from wear of the varnish. And it lets the top vibrate more open, so it's not only louder (not that significantly), but also fuller (quite) in tone with more natural sustain. Not only in theory, in practice too ...
Interesting! Thanks!
Myself I like to feel guitar with my body as much as I could therefore it is not for me, even it will be louder etc. :)
But I love to experience different colors of sound therefore it is interesting to try :)

gkproliberty

Post by gkproliberty » Sun May 27, 2012 4:48 am

Has anyone ordered the Mukava (aka Liikanen)?

The only site I found listing these for sale seems very flakey - only an email and no price information is given:
http://kustaviproductions.com

In a google search all the other sites looked worse, and one was flagged with a warning that the site might hurt my computer!
Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, though this arm rest appears to be the best one for my needs.

Mikko Helenius

Post by Mikko Helenius » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:10 am

gkproliberty wrote:Has anyone ordered the Mukava (aka Liikanen)?

The only site I found listing these for sale seems very flakey - only an email and no price information is given:
http://kustaviproductions.com

In a google search all the other sites looked worse, and one was flagged with a warning that the site might hurt my computer!
Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, though this arm rest appears to be the best one for my needs.
I ordered one from Liikanen´s own new webshop just google guitarshop.fi. I really like the armrest and it costs around 40 €. The suction cups hold down the rest really firmly, it is actually quite difficult to take it off. It would be good if your guitar has polished sides for the cups, though the package includes some pads to assist installing is you have plain sides. However, the pages are in finnish and they do not also give any further info about the rest on their web pages.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”