armrest

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Thd5919

Re: armrest

Post by Thd5919 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:06 pm

There is one imported from Germany, Andreas Abel, at SBM.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:35 am

I have one of Abel armrests on one of my guitars and it is actually very well designed and functional. It is also very comfortable, maybe the most comfortable of the several armrests I have tried.

The drawbacks are: it's not exactly beautiful, and it has to be removed when puting the guitar into a case.
Apart from that it's a great product doing exactly what it is supposed to do, and, above all, really staying in place, because no sucction cups are involved.

best
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Thanks to Robert mentioning the Abel armrest in another thread, I began working to acquire one through a special order with SBM. They worked with Andreas Abel and have obtained a US distibutorship for this product. It is functional, comfortable, easy to attach and detach, places the RH in a nice position to produce a good tone, improves resonance and sustain, so what's not to love about it?! I have really enjoyed mine, and I think anyone considering an armrest should look seriously at this one. Happy playing to all! :bye:

Kind Regards,

Joe
2018 Brad Andersen, No. 27
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

JeffHopkins

Post by JeffHopkins » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Thanks for the various input on this armrest. Seems like some have noticed an improvement of the guitar sound from using this so I will get one. Every time Strings By Mail has a special on this product or discount they sell out quick so don't hesitate. :shock:

Impy

Post by Impy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Although the price for the Abel armrest is relatively high (at least in my eyes) it is simply great, I can totally recommend it and I will order a second one as soon as I've decided which new guitar I'll buy and ordered it :)

choro

Re: AW: armrest

Post by choro » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Hello,

I own one Abel armrest that feels and plays very comfortable. The look is a bit cheap with the plastic .

The other armrest is new from Ortega .
Feels also good and it is easy to install. It is more edgy than the Abel but you can leave it on the guitar while putting her in the guitar case. It is fixed with three glue points.
On my Ruck it is not a problem to loose this points because of the uncomplicated lacquer. On shellac guitars I would choose an other rest , because of the danger that the finish can be damaged.

Last edited by choro on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ambridge Series 40 Spruce Rosewood

Impy

Post by Impy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:53 pm

Thank you for the pictures! The Ortega is another 30 € pricier than the Abel. The Ortega is really glued to the guitar? How is the cushion for the forearm? i like the Abel for "removing" the edge of he guitar so it can not cut in the forearm anymore.

EDIT: oh, in the maple version its only 15 € difference...

choro

Post by choro » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:03 pm

Hi Impy ,

The Abel is more comfortable because of the large rounded area.
The Ortega is a bit edgier but also comfortable.

Both are good solutions, in my opinion the Ortega looks a bit better.

The Ortega glueing points

Impy

Post by Impy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:20 pm

And thanks again for the additional pictures. Just like i thought the Abel seems to be more comfortable, but what does deters me the most is the solution with the glued velcor on the Ortega. So it seems I'll stay with the Abel and buy a second one of them, although I really have to admit that the ortega looks very nice and I didn't regard the Abel as unaesthetic, actually.

choro

Post by choro » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi Impy,

The Abel is definitely the more comfortable, I have a young wild and gaga dog and my guitar is most of the time in the case. So for me it is an advantage that I can leave the rest on the guitar.

Impy

Post by Impy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:36 pm

Hey choro,

that's a really big plus! I'm lucky my guitars are in a room where my two gaga cats have no access to, so my most often played guitar can stay in a stand with armrest and ergoplay installed.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:10 am

@choro I wouldn't dare to glue something to a french polished guitar because you know how it works out only after it already happened ... But for some lacquers it might work.
Where did you buy it, anyway?

Also your guitar stand is really cool. Never seen such a stand! Where did you get it?

best
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

choro

Post by choro » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi Robert,

i ordered the armrest by the Internet big seller with the female warrior name .

the Wooden Guitar Stand is from Aria and called WGS 100.

As far as i know they don´t produce this stand anymore.
I bought it from a seller of a Kohno Maestro two years ago used.

It is massive mahagony and works really fine.
WGS-100.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ralphed

Post by ralphed » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 pm

I decided to make up an armrest yesterday. I went to a hobby supplier and got a bag of leather scraps. This is what I have come up with SO FAR.
IMG_20140312_184547_698.JPG
I need a leather marking wheel so I can make them stitches neater. I left the ends open so I can stuff it with different materials. So far a leather sandwich seems good. I may go with stiffer leather after a while. I also want to use waxed linen thread instead of cotton. I think it grips itself better.
IMG_20140312_184558_582.JPG
I will reinforce the ends of the cotton strap so I can eliminate the hooks on the suction cups. They do not touch the guitar, though.
It seems to grip the guitar without sliding around, so I think I can make it a bunch smaller. We'll see what happens when it has time to stretch a bit. I am hoping I can make it a bunch smaller and maybe use smaller suction cups.

I've got about 2 dollars invested so far.

Ralphed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”