Is this correct right hand position?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Jacob

Is this correct right hand position?

Post by Jacob » Tue May 23, 2006 3:34 pm

Hello, I'am just starting to play claSsical, but I'ved played steel strings for about 4 years now. I have a habit of resting my forarm on top of my guitar when I play Steel acoustic, but for classical, do I need to have my right hand free floating and not resting on top of the guitar?

Any advice or pictures of the forarm available out here in the net?

hav

Post by hav » Tue May 23, 2006 6:37 pm

I pulled this response - I think the pic below is great!
Last edited by hav on Tue May 23, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btb

Post by btb » Tue May 23, 2006 7:37 pm

i was under the impression (in my usual self-taught fumbling way) that you should rest your right forearm just slightly on the guitar :shock:

i use it partly as an anchor, and also to counter the force of holding down bar chords using the left arm muscles... If i need to i just lift my arm off the guitar temporarily to move around.

Is this really a BAD habit? Seems like a lot of the pros do it... i think my right arm would get tired out sooner holding it up off the guitar. :daccord:

Jacob

Post by Jacob » Tue May 23, 2006 7:41 pm

Ah yes I see now :ouioui: No wonder my right hand starts falling asleep when I play classical (with my forarm rested on the top), because the circulation on my forarm was getting cut off!! :lol:

Thank you, I'll work at it, because when ever "I DO" keep my RH afloat my shoulder inturn, gets tired. I really still have to work on this. :D

Jacob

Post by Jacob » Tue May 23, 2006 7:41 pm

Progress is slow :lol:

Ben K.

Post by Ben K. » Tue May 23, 2006 7:47 pm

bumpa wrote:i was under the impression (in my usual self-taught fumbling way) that you should rest your right forearm just slightly on the guitar :shock:
I think Jacob is referring to resting your forearm flat on the soundboard of the guitar (but I could be wrong here?) which I think is a common practice in steel-string and folk playing, not resting your forearm against the corner of the widest point of the lower bout.

-Ben

sngdt

Post by sngdt » Tue May 23, 2006 7:54 pm

Hope that help. I use an old cut socket to provide a kind of protection for my forearm against the edge of the guitar. Is there available somewhere a removable armrest ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jacob

Post by Jacob » Tue May 23, 2006 8:37 pm

Cuul!!! Thanks, I really have to work on my form here. I have a bad habit of leaning towards the guitar, like hugging a pillow :lol:

hav

Post by hav » Tue May 23, 2006 9:16 pm

that's great sngdt! thanks - also hihlights part of the problem with my RH - hump in my R writst too often

Brock

Post by Brock » Tue May 23, 2006 10:35 pm

Thanks for the pic sngdt. I've been trying that right hand position and realise that (like hav) I get into a hump too easily.

But in trying to keep my wrist flatter I find I'm playing with the flesh of my thumb only and the nail's never making contact with the string. If I angle my thumb a bit more to use the nail it's OK on the 6th string but if i'm playing p on the 3rd or 4th, then p and i get in each other's way.

Chris Davis

Post by Chris Davis » Tue May 23, 2006 10:52 pm

I would point on that it's okay to have some bend in the wrist. Not an excessive amount as in the picture above, but some bend is natural. keeping an exactly strait wrist can often have the fingers to curled up, which can lead to "hooking" underneath the string. Find a happy medium, you own arm will be the judge.

hav

Post by hav » Tue May 23, 2006 10:58 pm

I THINK - could be wrong though - that the idea is really to have the top of the hand basically parallel with the face of the guitar. Depending on the position of your arm - this MAY lead to a bit of a hump in the R wrist - I think so anyway. but if you watch MANY pros (newer school than Segivia etc.), they do seem to have fairly flat R wrist

Brock

Post by Brock » Tue May 23, 2006 11:01 pm

Thanks for the reassurance Boyscout. Otherwise I'd be digging out the thumb-pick I used to use when I played 'claw-hammer' style (badly) on steel strings, and almost certainly hooked under the strings with my fingers.

Chris Davis

Post by Chris Davis » Tue May 23, 2006 11:22 pm

hav wrote:I THINK - could be wrong though - that the idea is really to have the top of the hand basically parallel with the face of the guitar. Depending on the position of your arm - this MAY lead to a bit of a hump in the R wrist - I think so anyway. but if you watch MANY pros (newer school than Segivia etc.), they do seem to have fairly flat R wrist
True. A lot of the flat wrist thing has to do with velocity. The flater the wrist the more the tendons are truly "in line"--it's a more efficient use of muscle.

I have a bump in my R wrist. Why? my fingers are sort of long, and I end up with a very curled hand if I keep it flat. To me keeping it absolutely flat is very, very uncomfortable and induces fatigue more quickly than playing with a little bump. Like I mentioned above: it depends on the person.

btb

Post by btb » Wed May 24, 2006 1:56 am

deleted
Last edited by btb on Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”