My RH wrist injury solution

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
robinfw

My RH wrist injury solution

Post by robinfw » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:35 am

Recently I developed a rh wrist condition. Maybe arthritis or repetitive stress injury. I suspect the computer mouse had more to do with it.

Anyway the treatment is relieve inflammation, restrain movement and supplements.
For the inflammation I take Danzen. I can't tolerate things like Iboprufen. Check out Danzen. It has a lot of benefits.

Supplements are Glucosamine and MSM.

Restrain movement.

I bought some elastic wrist straps from the pharmacy. Caution here to get correct size as do not want to cut of the blood supp[ly. A sheet of corrugated plastic sign board from the stationary section of the hyper market. Cut out a strip of the plastic about 160 mm long by 30 mm wide and rounded off the ends. And made a splint with the wrist bands and plastic.

I bought the "Practice Right" product to see if it would be an aid. But to be effective I had to use one the elastic wrist bands to hold down the area behind the knuckles.

Here are pictures showing my first solution and the two different positions obtained with the Practice Right.

Hope this may benefit some one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robinfw

Re: My RH wrist injury solution

Post by robinfw » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:23 am

I forgot to say that in the first few weeks I did not try to play guitar or any other activity that would aggravate the condition.

Gradually as it is improving I do some light exercise such as wadding up as plastic bag in the one hand to form a ball and then squeeze it 5-10 times. Carry a dumb bell around the room for a few minutes.

I have resumed playing,mostly left hand exercises and a spare amount of time using the RH.
Doing a little more each day.

Have a good day.

robinfw

Post by robinfw » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Well it has been almost a year since whatever happened, happened.
It has been a two steps forward and one step back sort of thing.
I tried too early to resume my old practice routine and was set back.

After a period of abstaining I again picked up the guitar and resumed
practice on a reduced schedule.
Going almost back to year one type of practice. Gradually I'm regaining.
What I want to say to any one who goes through something like this is
to be patient and go slow. It does take time to heal.
Best of luck

senunkan

Post by senunkan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:59 am

(Side track a little)
I suspect computer mouse is a main culprit of the cause of wrist injuries.
For that reason, I have learnt to switch to LH mouse just to spread out the the stress on over-using one hand with the mouse.
Recently, I have also switched to vertical mouse and I found that it helps a lot.

For practising on guitar, I don't think it's as bad as using the mouse.
Your way of minimising the wrist movement is quite ingenious and I think it does help!
Sen CL Goh
2013 Sen Goh (S - IR)
2010 Sen Goh (S - IR)
1996 Ross Gutmeier (C - IR)
Alhambra 4P
Yamaha CG110

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”