How I Cured My Neck and Shoulder Pain.

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
choctawchas

How I Cured My Neck and Shoulder Pain.

Post by choctawchas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:30 pm

Having suffered from neck and shoulder pain for many years in spite of therapy, yoga and drugs
I stumbled across this odd source of training exercises and philosophy from Elliot Hulse about six months ago
and decided to try the suggestions in the link I've provided here...http://youtu.be/A65Rvivs5g8

The stretches take about 5 to 6 minutes, I use them first thing in the morning and just before going to bed at night.
During long periods of playing, six to eight hours a day these past 5 weeks, I use these simple stretches during my breaks.

The result has been that I no longer have any issues, problems or pain with my neck and shoulders.

I hope this helps anyone else out there who suffers in frustration and pain.

Cheers,Choctawchas

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: How I Cured My Neck and Shoulder Pain.

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Choctawchas, and congratulations for overcoming your pain! :D

I just tried "the best way to stretch the biceps" and man did that hurt! I would suggest that beginners don't attempt to raise the arm as high as he does (parallel to the floor), but further down the wall at the point where you can feel the stretch without straining too much.

Alan

choctawchas

Post by choctawchas » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:13 am

This regimen will help if the issues are muscular. See your GP first to eliminate anything more serious or underlying problems.

Yes start slowly and gradually build up the duration and intensity. You should begin to see improvements in about two to three weeks.

Good Luck Alan

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:00 pm

I liked his energizing warmup routine, similar to some yoga poses I use to do. For shoulder/neck release, I would also recommend his breathing exercises. I think it is very important to use the stretching and breathing exercises to get conscious of unsolved tension and learn to relax and stay in a better posture. Then stretching becomes less necessary with time because posture itself gets better.

sardara

Post by sardara » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks for posting this. I had a frozen shoulder a year ago,which despite physiotherapy is still not fully recovered.The problem seems to be the areas this guy refers to.

Dxn

Post by Dxn » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks for bringing this to my attention - even beyond this, the same guy in the video has other sessions on fixing other imbalances in the body, i.e. scoliosis, among others. I've had similar pain that comes and goes, and it's good to appreciate when it's gone, but it's hard to say if it's ever gone for good. It's helpful to try different approaches, and in my experience, none of them are necessarily easy or simple. This is no exception, of course, but every little bit helps. These stretches should be good for other situations as well - I certainly don't have 8 hours a day for guitar practice ; )

elrond

Post by elrond » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:59 pm

that looks really helpful, thanks. I have had a lot of aches and pains lately, I really need to starting doing stretches regularly.

Chuck Cheesman

Post by Chuck Cheesman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks for sharing. I have a back issue, and as I get older I become more aware of maintaining a healthier body. Glad to hear you are free of pain while playing.

creativityasaweapon

Post by creativityasaweapon » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:27 am

Thank you for this! Although I have no pre-existing pains, I have been wary to play for long sessions due to poor posture and the pains that come with correcting it. Hopefully this will help!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”