Only 5-10 mins a day due to Trapped Nerve

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
gtrfinger

Only 5-10 mins a day due to Trapped Nerve

Post by gtrfinger » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:42 pm

6 months ago I had to stop playing, after 3 months I was diagnosed with radial nerve entrapment. Things progressed well, but then I over did it, and was straight back to square one. Very very dark times. That was a month ago. Slow progression and I'm not going to make the same mistake.

Gerald Klickstein kindly sent me a return to playing schedule which involves, at the basic level, playing 5 mins, then resting an hour, and playing another 5 mins. Per day.

I've come across another schedule which suggests 3 mins play, rest 5 mins, play 3, rest 5, then play another 3 mins.

The end result, at this early stage, is playing about 10 mins per day.

if you could only play 10 mins a day, would you practise repertoire or technique?
google Mike Fowler guitar

PeterLC

Re: Only 5-10 mins a day due to Trapped Nerve

Post by PeterLC » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:46 pm

I have a -I think- similar problem (LH), have had it since I was about 15, so that's 30 years. It limits my playing-time to 1, at best 1,5 hours a day; and I take strategic days "off", even when I feel like playing. I've had several neurolgists and surgeons look at it over the years, yet, it all boils down to "deal with it". I'm now at a stage where my hand is protesting a bit earlier than normal, so that means more days "off".

So, I probably know at least a little about what you're going through, and you have my sincere sympathy and best whishes! To answer your question, I'd definitely play repertoire. I rarely play scales or exercises myself anymore, because they "eat" into the time that I have each day, before the nerves start to sting and go numb again.

Hang in there!

tuk

Post by tuk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:55 pm

gtrfinger wrote: if you could only play 10 mins a day, would you practise repertoire or technique?
no brainer, repertoire, & only stuff I know really well and can play from memory without thinking.
"To make the figure more understandable, IBM said Sequoia was capable of calculating in one hour what otherwise would have taken 6.7 billion people using hand calculators 320 years to complete if they had worked non-stop."

robb

Post by robb » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:41 am

If I could only practice physically for 5-10 mins a day. I would spend time visualizing. Visualize myself playing a piece without actually touching the guitar.
Have you tried practicing a piece with just the left hand alone? Touching the strings very lightly and moving very very slowly and aim for accuracy and lightness of touch.
It might seem ironic but getting an injury seems like a good time to reevaluate technique and spend time on areas that we neglected before.

PeterLC

Post by PeterLC » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:37 am

Well, I've had to step down quite a bit, too. Haven't played in 5 days and the way my LH feels, I know the problems will be back the moment I make my first stretch, or barre-chord. No pain or anything in normal routines or work, but I feel it's right below the surface. Guitarplaying is the only way to trigger it. Have had this setback several times before, but I never get used to the disappointment. I may carefully try again today.

Don't want to sugarcoat the outlook on this problem, gtrfinger - in my case, it's permanent; with ups and downs, but it won't go away. I can only hope for a better outcome for you.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”