getting numb when seated while practicing

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
stumbo

Re: getting numb when seated while practicing

Post by stumbo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:50 am

As I've gotten older I seem to have the issue more than normal and have found that using the traditional left foot elevated just doesn't work, I keep both my feet flat on the floor and use a dynarette cushions.

I also make a point to stop every few minutes and change position, move around a bit and let the circulation do it's thing. I do alot of long duration bike rides which causes much of the same problem, no more than 10 minutes in one position is a rule I have for both the bike and the guitar, seems to take care of the problem for me

Stephen Graham

Post by Stephen Graham » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:37 pm

vinhngo wrote:I also saw somewhere else on this forum that using the footstool backward is a lot more comfortable. Personally I do find it a lot better. That's worth trying too.
I know this may be late in posting on this thread, but I too was having problems with back pain and posture as I was learning and playing.
I used a standard chair with a footrest, and when I quit using the footrest and started to put my heel up on the leg of the chair or the rung , most of my pain was alleviated, however, it was not all gone and it caused me to hold the guitar in an odd position I did not like,but definitely a step in the right direction. The ultimate answer for me was a guitar rest which allowed me to keep both feet flat on the ground, now I can play pain free. I am not a small man, I am 6'1 and 255lbs. Now I can play my 60 to 90 minutes a day easily. I do take breaks at 30 to 45 minutes.

dolceponticello

Post by dolceponticello » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:40 pm

get rid of the wallet and get a serious padded cushion. not just a pillow. I suggest a gardener's kneeling cushion, proper piano bench or outdoor's man cushion. It needs to be heavy duty.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:47 pm

A good case could be made for a strap and standing, at least periodically....But we went through this last year. :?
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:43 am

Scot Tremblay wrote:A good case could be made for a strap and standing, at least periodically....But we went through this last year. :?
Yes this theme another example of problems connected with playing guitar in sitting positions...
I still can easily play 8 hours a day or more if necessary and feeling no pain connected with guitar playing, just because I play standing...but yes for some people who have problems with their legs or extra weight, or other conditions standing could be difficult too...
Thanks for mentioning this option Scott!
What was the result for you, when you tried to play standing?

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”