Hand position

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Tom Gallo

Hand position

Post by Tom Gallo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:34 pm

Could anyone show me a picture of the correct angle the pinky should adopt when used around fret 4 in a typical warmup exercise? Mine has a tendency to want to be horizontal with the fingerboard and not right angled to it. It's easier further up the neck, but just hard near the nut end.

Also, i am trying to make a start on D01, i'm embarrassed to ask but i am not sure what this flowery symbol means. Can you enlighten me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yisrael van Handel

Re: Hand position

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:11 pm

The flowery symbol is Prof. Delcamp's way of indicating that the previously played open string must be stopped at the same time as sounding the note with the flower symbol. Stopping strings is an entire subject unto itself, and should be learned early. There are several ways of stopping a string with the right hand, and several ways with the left hand.
Until someone more experienced than I jumps in, it sounds to me that you need to raise the metacarpophalangeal joint of your fourth finger to be the same distance from the edge of the fretboard as the other metacarpophalangeal joints, so that you will have more control over the use of the fourth finger. It should be perpendicular to the fret board, otherwise it will be too weak and difficult to control.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Tom Gallo

Re: Hand position

Post by Tom Gallo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Thank you very much for your reply. This really is helpful.
Happy Holidays

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”