Almost finding my left-hand position.

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Osmin

Almost finding my left-hand position.

Post by Osmin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:11 am

Hello,

I am a begginer in classical guitar, but I have a good music theory from my other instruments so that makes me very perfeccionist while learning the classical guitar. I bought a Yamaha C70 1 week ago and I'm having some doubts about left hand position.

Classical guitar teachers are more than a hundred miles away from me, so I decided to started this for myself, but always searching for perfeccionism in ergonomics and posture, to avoid bad habits.

Today I took a hour just to adjust my left hand position to an absolute straight wrist position (just for basic hand positioning, I know that sometimes this isn't possible), so I can get almost no effort and avoid technique problems and injury.

My fingers are very long and thin so I think the straight wrist, even in the six string, isn't a problem. But I find that I can only do this without effort if the top of the headstock is a little above the top of my head. If I reduce the guitar angle, I can make the wrist straight, but I have to adjust my elbow in a way that causes shoulder pain.
In the first case, also I could notice that my fingers are far more loose, and I can reach the 4 first fret, with each finger right before each fret, without a problem, and the fingers hit the strings in a 90 degree angle. This doesnt happens if the guitar is in a lower angle.
Both cases my knuckles are parallel to the neck

My doubt is that is there any problem of putting the guitar in this position?

I was thinking of making a video and post on youtube, showing the different positions, if necessary.

Sorry for the vocabulary, english is not my native language

Kind Regards
Thiago

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Almost finding my left-hand position.

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:10 am

Hi Thiago, and welcome!

You may have noticed that Mr. Delcamp offers free online lessons here. Even if you choose not to participate in them, you are free to watch his teaching videos to get an idea of proper hand positions. :wink:

In the meantime, may I invite you to tell us a bit more about yourself in the "Introduce yourself" section here? In an effort to help thwart spammers, Mr. Delcamp now requires an introduction from newly registered members:
The accounts of new users who have not introduced themselves within a few hours of registering are deleted, and they will need to register again.
You will get a proper welcome and some tips on how to get the most out of the Forum.

Have fun!

Alan

Osmin

Post by Osmin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:15 am

Tarbaby

Sure I will introduce myself.

The Mr. Delcamp free online lessons are a good surprise for me.

Thank you!

richard_joh

Post by richard_joh » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:25 am

I do not think there is a definite answer here. Hitting the string at the right angle is ideal, but it is often hard to do it for all fingers. Guitar headstock can be above your head. Make sure you relax your elbow and shoulder enought, so that you can play your guitar for a long time.

Richard
2007 Ramirez SP (German Spruce / Indian Rosewood)
2011 Richard Joh (Redwood / Zebrawood)

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:14 pm

Osmin wrote:Today I took a hour just to adjust my left hand position to an absolute straight wrist position (just for basic hand positioning, I know that sometimes this isn't possible), so I can get almost no effort and avoid technique problems and injury.
You say you have long fingers, maybe you are tall too; other players may be short, with short fingers.The exact positioning of both hands varies from player to player, so trying to achieve an absolutely straight wrist may be a pointless endeavour. Your left wrist works most efficiently when it is more or less straight (so that the tendons from the muscles in your forearm that control your fingers are acting more or less in a straight line) but to finger the guitar fretboard it also needs to be flexible and bend back and forth. What you need is to find a comfortable position that suits your build and allows your wrist to feel relaxed and work efficiently. This is unlikely to involve an "absolute straight wrist position".
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Osmin

Post by Osmin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:55 pm

pogmoor wrote: You say you have [...].

richard_joh wrote:I do not think there is [...]
I'm finding this relaxed position, time will help me with the perfect position for my body, and I think I'm near to it. I can study for 40 minutes without discomfort, so I think I'm in the correct way.

Thank you all for answering.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”