Back and butt pain

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Pingvin

Back and butt pain

Post by Pingvin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:20 pm

After practicing for a few hours my back and ass hurts I can't sit anymore (not even without the foot stool). :x I tried sitting on pillows and it helps but it is kind of weird feeling. I also tried separating my practicing but if whenever I stop I have the need to continue and sometimes even my conscience hurts. xd Any suggestions?
thanks in advance :)

Catire

Re: Back and butt pain

Post by Catire » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:45 pm

It's important not to overdo it. When you practice, take a break every 20 minutes, or so. Walk around a bit. Stretch out.
Also, how long do you practice? And how's your posture? I've had back troubles for the last 10 years. My doctor advises me that most back pain comes from weak leg muscles. He has me doing exercises and stretches, and, of course, taking frequent breaks during my practice.
Sitting for prolonged periods isn't that good for anyone. If the pain persist, I suggest you get some good medical advice.
Last edited by Catire on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Can it be there was only one summer when I was ten years old?"

Stephen Graham

Post by Stephen Graham » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Look I am no expert, but a few hours is a long time. I can't use a footstool because of back pain after 10 minutes, so I use a guitar support, love it - check those out maybe. But it sounds like you need to do what Catire suggests , get up and move around a bit every 15 minutes or so. I usually play for 90 minutes a day with 2 breaks.

Pingvin

Post by Pingvin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:05 pm

Catire wrote:...take a break every 20 minutes, or so...Also, how long do you practice? And how's your posture? ...
Dizzy wrote:... I use a guitar support, love it - check those out maybe.. do what Catire suggests
hey thanks to both of you :)
I'm new at forums so I hope I quoted you right. :P
Well now that I'm on my winter break I practice for 4 h average. About my posture I try to keep my spine as strait as possible. Dizzy, I tried the guitar support but it just doesn't feel the same. :S Yeah I'l try taking breaks it sound like a great idea. :D :merci:

dbeau

Post by dbeau » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:08 am

Is the butt pain equal on both sit bones?
I've had the problem but with the left side only and found that a lot of time was spent leaning unequally to the left while focusing on the left hand, etc.
Sitting straight and sensing that equal placement of weight helped the problem and improved my posture. Now BOTH sides will begin to hurt and of course it's time to take a break :)

dolceponticello

Post by dolceponticello » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:46 pm

you have to get a heavy duty pillow. I use a pad that is meant for gardeners to kneel on. It is a thick foam so it really provides cushion. most pillows are too soft to make a difference.

the best cushion i got is meant for a boat, it is a floatation device that is full of solid foam so it really makes a difference.

they also sell piano benches or drummer thrones that are excellent for this.

Beth F-R

Post by Beth F-R » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Pingvin wrote:
Catire wrote:...take a break every 20 minutes, or so...Also, how long do you practice? And how's your posture? ...
Dizzy wrote:... I use a guitar support, love it - check those out maybe.. do what Catire suggests
hey thanks to both of you :)
I'm new at forums so I hope I quoted you right. :P
Well now that I'm on my winter break I practice for 4 h average. About my posture I try to keep my spine as strait as possible. Dizzy, I tried the guitar support but it just doesn't feel the same. :S Yeah I'l try taking breaks it sound like a great idea. :D :merci:
Hi and welcome!

Both of these suggestions are very important. There are many different kinds of guitar support out there -- you may have to invest in several and try them until you find what works best for you. Some folks here even advocate playing standing up, with a strap. There are long threads about this on this forum. In addition to posture and breaks, and not practicing for too long at a stretch, it is also important to stretch and strengthen the muscles of your "core." As a veteran of lower back trouble that was caused at least in part by taking up CG, the two things that have helped me are abandoning the footstool (in my case, the dynarette is the best option), and doing regular exercises that target the core. Also -- get a kitchen timer and set it for 15 or 20 minutes, and when it goes off, get up, walk around, do some stretches, etc., before you return to practice.

You mention that you try to keep your spine as straight as possible. You may be inadvertently creating a lot of tension in your muscles that needs to be released. Also check out your shoulders to make sure you aren't unconscioiusly "hunching" them up.

Hope this helps!
Beth F-R

Pingvin

Post by Pingvin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:30 pm

dbeau wrote:Is the butt pain equal on both sit bones?
I've had the problem but with the left side only and found that a lot of time was spent leaning unequally to the left while focusing on the left hand, etc.
Sitting straight and sensing that equal placement of weight helped the problem and improved my posture. Now BOTH sides will begin to hurt and of course it's time to take a break :)
It is only on the left side but I think it is more because I have my foot stool pretty high. But I'll pay more attention on the leaning. thanks :D
Beth F-R wrote:....You mention that you try to keep your spine as straight as possible. You may be inadvertently creating a lot of tension in your muscles that needs to be released. Also check out your shoulders to make sure you aren't unconscioiusly "hunching" them up...
oh well not that strait haha I think my body is very relaxed, but thanks for the advice anyway
dolceponticello wrote:...I use a pad that is meant for gardeners to kneel on. It is a thick foam so it really provides cushion. most pillows are too soft to make a difference.

the best cushion i got is meant for a boat, it is a floatation device that is full of solid foam so it really makes a difference.

they also sell piano benches or drummer thrones that are excellent for this.
I'l try that , how expensive are those things?

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:42 am

Please try to play standing with the strap.
There is a topic here where you could find all necessary information.
I.m 55, playing 45 years, have health problems, but nothing connected with guitar playing and because the only feeling I, m having from guitar playing is pleasure, I could do lots of music work (playing, composing, recording ).
Good luck!

Tim Mullins

Post by Tim Mullins » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:57 am

Pingvin wrote:After practicing for a few hours my back and ass hurts I can't sit anymore (not even without the foot stool). :x I tried sitting on pillows and it helps but it is kind of weird feeling. I also tried separating my practicing but if whenever I stop I have the need to continue and sometimes even my conscience hurts. xd Any suggestions?
thanks in advance :)
You might be interested in a concept I came up with, the Mobius Strap. It allows you to play standing without having to modify your instrument. It can also be used when sitting as an alternative to foot rests, mechanical props, cushions, etc. You can google it to get more information if it seems like something that may help.

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:14 pm

Tim,

How much loss in sound quality and vibration of the top do you notice when using the Mobius strap you mention in your post? While it sure looks easy to put on and use, I wonder whether it would "deaden" or "dampen" the overall sound of a CG- and if so, how much?

Kind Regards,

Joe
2018 Brad Andersen, No. 27
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

Tim Mullins

Post by Tim Mullins » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:36 am

jhapgood wrote:Tim,

How much loss in sound quality and vibration of the top do you notice when using the Mobius strap you mention in your post? While it sure looks easy to put on and use, I wonder whether it would "deaden" or "dampen" the overall sound of a CG- and if so, how much?

Kind Regards,

Joe
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your interest! The strap only supports the guitar at the edges. Across the face it barely touches (there is even some daylight), with no pressure applied to the soundboard. I suspect that one's forearm touching the face has more deadening effect. I tested the sound level with an iPhone dB meter (with a ukulele) and there was no measurable difference in volume. Also (although I may be biased), I hear no difference in tone or volume on guitar or ukulele.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”