Lap support for guitar

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Enrique Rodney

Lap support for guitar

Post by Enrique Rodney » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Due to back problems, using the foot stool to support my guitar has not allowed me to play comfortable and my practice sessions becomes a back pain experience. I live in Ontario Canada and I am wondering if some of the members could provide my some leading information on where to find a guitar lap support. This seems to be the solution to my back problem and I would like to give it a try.

Thanks,

Enrique

kat

Re: Lap support for guitar

Post by kat » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:50 pm

The most common seems to be the Gitano guitar support, available online from numerous sources. I'd also really recommend looking into the Tenuto support. It's made in Calgary so everyone here uses them. They make two different models. If you're less than 6 feet tall the smaller one will probably be better for you.

doug

Post by doug » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:56 pm

I use a Dynarette cushion sometimes. They come in two sizes, and I bought the large. I simply sits on your leg.....does not require attachment to the guitar.....and the guitar rests on it. The portion that comes in contact with your leg has an anti-slip material, although with some pants I find that it tends to move a little. To remedy this, I simply lay a small piece of anti-skid "shelf liner" material down, and sit the cushion on top of it. Another piece of shelf liner material on top of the cushion, and the guitar is almost 'stuck' in place. ....and no possibility of any kind of damage to the guitar finish.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:55 am

I use the Murata guitar support. The one with the clamps on it. Stings by Mail sells it and they also sell extra parts for it such as a longer post. The post it comes with is on the short side. I replaced mine with a 5 inch post that someone made for me but you can also buy one from Strings By Mail. They have a lot of variety when it comes to supports so check them out.

The problem with the Gitano is that it does not feel stable to me. I still have mine but don't ever use it.

clivepics

Post by clivepics » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:49 am

Apparently William Shakespeare used a Dynarette as in the following previously undiscovered ode:-

ODE TO A GUITAR SUPPORT

O Dynarette, O Dynarette,
How did I cope before we met?
I know this may sound slightly wet
But I have found thee comfy:
Thy soft and sumptuous shapely curves
Have come along to soothe my nerves
My foot can rest upon the ground
And make the sound less bumpy.

I know it soundeth rather twee
But when thou sitteth on my knee
I give a little cry of glee
For truly I’m supported
For now I know it truly is
That I’m no longer in a tizz
Because thou sitteth there so firm
My aching back is sorted.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:48 am

@ clivepics » 04 Mar 2014, 10:49
+1
:bravo:
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

jimw

Post by jimw » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:53 pm

I sometimes use a Dynarette (large) and at other times a foot stool set to its low position. These both seem to work for me, as well as doing a little standing and stretching if I'm practicing for longer periods. I hope you're successful in managing your back discomfort!

dory

Post by dory » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:03 am

So far (one day) my Dynarette has allowed me to play without pain. So far so good. I am pleased for the moment. I tried a Murata belomging to my teacher and did not care for it. He was loaning it out because it didn't work for him either.
Dory

Pede

Post by Pede » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:58 pm

I bought both a dynarette cushion and the ergoplay last week. Now I find out that practising with the cusion for me is the most relaxing way. It is stable and you can put the guitar in the case every time without removing the support and for me thats very important. Although the ergoplay I think is better for the performance moments, it is more convenient and looks better for the audience.
Goodbye footstool after 35 years!
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

franks59

Post by franks59 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:43 pm

clivepics wrote:Apparently William Shakespeare used a Dynarette as in the following previously undiscovered ode:-

ODE TO A GUITAR SUPPORT

O Dynarette, O Dynarette,
How did I cope before we met?
I know this may sound slightly wet
But I have found thee comfy:
Thy soft and sumptuous shapely curves
Have come along to soothe my nerves
My foot can rest upon the ground
And make the sound less bumpy.

I know it soundeth rather twee
But when thou sitteth on my knee
I give a little cry of glee