Thicker Necks? (ergonomic forum)

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
DTut

Thicker Necks? (ergonomic forum)

Post by DTut » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:06 pm

Does anyone out there know of guitars with thicker in DEPTH necks? (52mm wide is fine.)

I have thumb issue and thin necks really aggravate it. I had an old Yamaha with a thick neck and it was comfortable. I've also read on this forum that thicker necks are better for players with a thumb problem.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Dave
1980 Ramirez 1a

mmapag

Re: Thicker Necks? (ergonomic forum)

Post by mmapag » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:38 am

Personally, I am a fan of somewhat thicker necks. I find them more comfortable to play. I have medium size hands and no injury issues. I find thinner neck fatiguing to play and tension producing for me.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:51 am

Dave, I think it might help if you state what your price range is. I'm sure there are deeper necks in all price ranges, but they would probably not be the same makers in each range.
-Bob

DTut

Post by DTut » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:11 am

hesson11 wrote:Dave, I think it might help if you state what your price range is. I'm sure there are deeper necks in all price ranges, but they would probably not be the same makers in each range.
-Bob
I'm looking at the $2500 to $4000 range for a substantial, deeper neck. Thanks Bob.
1980 Ramirez 1a

poriforo

Post by poriforo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:04 am

Agree with the notion that too thin of a neck is uncomfortable. On the electric side, I always preferred Fender's thicker "u-shaped" necks that they produced in their early 60's models.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:14 am

DTut wrote:
hesson11 wrote:Dave, I think it might help if you state what your price range is. I'm sure there are deeper necks in all price ranges, but they would probably not be the same makers in each range.
-Bob
I'm looking at the $2500 to $4000 range for a substantial, deeper neck. Thanks Bob.
Well at $4,000 you should be able to find a maker who will dimension a Neck to your own satisfaction. You will just have to put some numbers to it.
Here's a list of Neck thickness of some well known makers:

http://www.designofaclassicalguitar.com ... d-head.php

My standard Neck thickness (1st fret) is 21.5 mm's, which is probably very near to being the average. The Torres at 24 mm's would be considered a very chunky Neck.
It's not just the depth though, the actual shape will have an important bearing on how it feels. A 'D' shape will feel more substantial than a 'C' shape. So a 'D' shape Neck at 24 mm's is a sturdy chunk of wood indeed.
Historicalguitars.

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi,
I had Michael Thames build me a 56mm, which I really like. If I recall, the guitar was about $7500, but I had Brazilian Rosewood upgrade for the back and sides. This was in 2008. But I would suspect you could have him make you the guitar of your dreams for about $5K.
Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2018 Michael Thames "Ancient Dragon" Cd/Ir
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar and Theory Instructor

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:25 pm

The older Contreras models from the 60s and 70s had huge necks, and sounded great.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”