Guitar Supports on Right Leg...

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Guitar Supports on Right Leg...

Post by Scot Tremblay » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:11 pm

A jazz guitar playing friend is looking at some of the supports designed for the classical guitar, anyone out there use one of them with the guitar on the right thigh (not a lefty)? If so which one and what has been your experience with it/them?

I've always played with either a foot stool to a strap so I personally have no experience to pass on....
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Cary W

Re: Guitar Supports on Right Leg...

Post by Cary W » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:24 pm

I attended a concert a few years ago by Davis Joachim, and he played the entire time with the footstool under the right foot, with the guitar on the right thigh. I asked him about it after, and he said he converted folllowing his time studying with Sigfried Behrend in Germany. Might work for your friend...
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:40 pm

I play with a footstool under the right foot. I think a few Flamenco players use that method. The Neck is a little low, at least in comparison to the normal classical position.
Historicalguitars.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:17 pm

I play lute with the foot stool under my right foot...the only instrument of the bunch I play where I use something other than a strap.

The problem is my friend can have rather severe back issues and needs both feet flat when sitting, thus the question about the attachable supports.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:08 pm

I think they are all designed for the guitar on the left leg, not the right. You might be hard pressed to find many people who have tried them, other than using the standard method. Maybe a Flamenco forum? They tend to favour the right leg.
The traditional flamenco position (the one that balances the guitar with the right forearm) is very good on the Back. It also places the neck of the Guitar in a very good position. It's difficult to master though with a tendency to press down hard with the forearm. It also tends to lock the right arm in one single position.
Why not a strap? Not only the conventional strap but there is also the type that attaches to the soundhole.
Historicalguitars.

edwardsguitar

Post by edwardsguitar » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:47 pm

The "Efel" support works very well placed on the right leg. It only has one suction cup which is nice, and it fits easily in the guitar case, unlike most supports of that nature. It can tend to not stick so well, depending on the finish of the guitar; it likes newer lacquered finishes more than thin French polishes. The Dynarette cushion is also a good option for using the right leg.

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:47 am

Posture is such an individual thing. My teacher played with both a support and a stool on his right leg and I loved his tone and right hand technique, but it didn't work for me; we were just built differently. I'd think the best way would be to find a close store that specializes in classical guitars and might have a variety in stock so he can try them.

Or you can do what I did and try them one at a time by ordering online, but it's expensive!
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:29 am

True! I've already tried the Ergoplay, Dynarette and the Murata type support. Looks like the Efel is the next.
Historicalguitars.

mepodojil

Post by mepodojil » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:35 pm

I use a Barnett guitar support but rest the guitar on my right leg. i just started this, but my right hand is so much easier to control. left hand doesn't really change much. i guess it has a lot to do with your right hand wrist angle. mine is pretty cocked, like pepe romero or segovia. I have curved nails so i need to attack the string more or less form a perpendicular direction. i was hung up forever on the tradition of using the left leg, but suddenly realized i need to do what works best for me.

otirroz

Post by otirroz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:07 am

I use both the Gitano and the NeckUp supports on both my left and right thigh depending on the music I am playing. Especially good on the right thigh when playing Flamenco; it eliminates having to lock up the right forearm to support the guitar. Also, because of the geometry of these two supports, I can leave either one of them attached in the same position regardless of which thigh I am using them on.

P de V

dory

Post by dory » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:40 am

I have seen pictures of people using the Barnett support on the right leg and think it is designed to be used on either leg. I am pretty much repeating what I heard and saw on the video on the Barnett website.
Dory

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:52 am

I have my Kris Barnett support mostly on my right leg these days. It feels better for me and goes well with flamenco, too.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:07 pm

I use the De Oro Guitar Rest on my right leg (the flamenco model) for playing both classical and flamenco guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PkgirMfZuk

Iain

Post by Iain » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:31 am

Blondie wrote:I use the De Oro Guitar Rest on my right leg (the flamenco model) for playing both classical and flamenco guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PkgirMfZuk
I also use de Oro, It's fantastic, very versatile. I also switched to right leg no back pain.

khayes

Post by khayes » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:33 am

Check out a few of Frederic Hand's videos on U Tube. He's using his support on his right thigh.
Ken

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”