Gitano - sitting on right or left leg?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Steve Langham

Gitano - sitting on right or left leg?

Post by Steve Langham » Thu May 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi all

I'm new to classical guitar, just got a guitar (Alhambra 4P) and got a Gitano as don't like the idea of a foot stool.
I'm trying to figure out the optimal setup with it.
I quite like the feel of it sitting on my right leg (I'm right handed) as the guitar feels more 'underneath' me and I can see what I'm doing better with the left hand as I'm learning. However, the Gitano on the left leg seems to look like the more textbook position of a classical guitar - although it feels like the fretboard is out too far left. This is probably because of my steel string background and just will take some getting used to.

Was wondering what leg others use and what is more common. I've got some lessons lined up in a few weeks and was wondering if I start practicing with it on my right leg the teacher might tell me this is 'non-standard' or something and I'll have to readjust.

Cheers

Steve

tormodg

Re: Gitano - sitting on right or left leg?

Post by tormodg » Thu May 07, 2015 12:57 pm

I recommend trying it on the left leg for a while so that you can get used to it. It is the "proper" use. But of course you are free to do as you wish! :)
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce 640
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired) 650
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

oski79

Re: Gitano - sitting on right or left leg?

Post by oski79 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:41 pm

Yes, the left leg gives you something akin to the regular classical position, but I know a few players who use a support but on the right leg.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”