sitting posture

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
ronjazz

Re: sitting posture

Post by ronjazz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:32 pm

If strap buttons are freaking you out, then use hooks that have the double-sided adhesive attached, readily available in hardware stores.On the classical guitar, one on the flat of the heel of the neck and one at the end of the body will enable one to play sitting or standing with no footstool, once you've adjusted the length of the conventional guitar strap. While the footstool swill not injure everyone who uses it, eliminating it will prevent injury as well as giving you one less ugly, heavy item to carry.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Purdy Bear

Post by Purdy Bear » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:22 pm

Would a loop strap work, here's one I made for my old Ukulele:

It's pretty easy to make with ribbon and a couple of press studs. I can't use a neck strap as I already have problems with that, and I don't think the Physio would be happy for me to use one.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:45 pm

Purdy Bear wrote:Would a loop strap work, here's one I made for my old Ukulele:

It's pretty easy to make with ribbon and a couple of press studs. I can't use a neck strap as I already have problems with that, and I don't think the Physio would be happy for me to use one.
Looks very cool! :)
But if I would be one who would want to try guitar with strap and decide if it will be good for me then maybe I'll go to guitar store and find guitar with strap buttons and strap and play with it for a hour, or I'll buy really inexpensive guitar, maybe in pan shop for $ 30 and put strap button on it first.
For myself I found that strap fixed with one button on the bottom of guitar and headstock feels much less convenient and stable than two buttons strap fixing which I recommended in this video: [media]https://youtu.be/TCDT0wvpkKM[/media]

also strap buttons could be installed so accurately that if someone would decide to remove them later there will be almost no visible marks from them (if done properly by luthier or someone alike).
For me strap gives a lot of options, I can stand, walk, sit - in all positions guitar is stable and convenient to play. Strap with the hook fixed on front deck or this nice ukulele strap or even with headstock and button could a bit interfere with sound of guitar because they all provide extra pressure on deck or guitar as a whole. Strap with two buttons should not change sound even a bit because buttons are fixed on thickest and most stable parts of guitar.

But surely, someone with perfect back and health could play sitting for hours... but maybe even for such person there is a limit. Maybe 2 hours a day of sitting (in inconvenient pose in general) is fine - but what about 4 hours? 6 hours? then even player with healthy back could start to experience problems...
And certainly if someone playing 30 minutes - 1 hour a day - then he may go well without worrying of all those things :)
Last edited by AndreiKrylov on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:34 pm

I saw the Assad brothers in concert, and the difference in posture and technique was startling.

Sergio uses a footstool, but it's jacked as high as it could go, and it looks higher than my stool's highest setting. It looked like his left foot was 8" off the ground. And his right wrist was painful to look at - bent down at close to a 90 degree bend.

Odair balanced the guitar on his right thigh, up close to his belly. No support, just arm pressure. His right wrist was straight on. I must say, I greatly preferred the sound he produced. But I don't think I could play like that.

I still haven't tried a strap on my classical, but I'm thinking about it. I gave up on the instability of the dynarette and I've had 2 gitanos break on me. So I've been back to the footstool for a few years. I keep it at its lowest and sit in a guitar chair, so my comfort has been ok.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:26 am

A strap attached to the heel and the bottom of the guitar works well for either standing or sitting. In fact, adjusting the length while using the footstool is the best way to be able to have the same angles of approach whether standing, sitting or leaning against the bar.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:07 am

Steve Kutzer wrote: I've had 2 gitanos break on me

How? :shock: What did you do to them :lol:

Mine, alas, was stolen with its guitar , My replacement Ergoplay is nice but it doesnt fit in the case.

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:11 am

AndreiKrylov wrote:[media]https://youtu.be/TCDT0wvpkKM[/media]
Nice demonstration :merci:

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:03 am

Tonyyyyy wrote:
Steve Kutzer wrote: I've had 2 gitanos break on me

How? :shock: What did you do to them :lol:

Mine, alas, was stolen with its guitar , My replacement Ergoplay is nice but it doesnt fit in the case.
the fabric strap part broke off or came unglued.

Purdy Bear

Post by Purdy Bear » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:27 am

Here's a very simple strap solution, it's basically a large loop that the guitar sits in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt-HyOGEVSQ

Thinking about it a simple baby sling would work the same way but with more fabric.

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:41 pm

Purdy Bear wrote:Here's a very simple strap solution, it's basically a large loop that the guitar sits in:
So simple but effective

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:15 pm

I think I've decided to put strap buttons on my Esteve classical. While I'm not the handiest guy around, it looks like some starter holes drilled in the appropriate place and then just screw them in.

Does anybody have a recommendation for relatively nice looking buttons for a classical? I'm thinking maybe wooden - Cocbolo perhaps.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:49 am

Has anyone tried holding a guitar like a pipa?
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:03 am

Steve Kutzer wrote:I think I've decided to put strap buttons on my Esteve classical. While I'm not the handiest guy around, it looks like some starter holes drilled in the appropriate place and then just screw them in.

Does anybody have a recommendation for relatively nice looking buttons for a classical? I'm thinking maybe wooden - Cocbolo perhaps.
There are two basic types. The traditional strap or end pin is with a tapered wooden plug (sometimes Ivory). Ideally you will need a reamer for this type. The other end pin is the type found on electric and steel string guitars, it has a central screw. You just need to drill a small pilot hole. The tapered wooden plug results in a much larger hole, perhaps 7 mm or so in diameter.
Many people don't like a hole drilled into that part of a Classical guitar. Some think it disgusting but the same people are perfectly happy to have a dirty great hole 50 times it's size drilled into the side of their guitar.
Strange old world.
Historicalguitars.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:10 pm

I'm indifferent to the aesthetics - I have no intention of selling this guitar. And if I play strapless, I won't see either button. Some of the supports are rather industrial looking. I'm with Andre on this one - function trumps form.

I tried briefly to play like Oddair Assad as I mentioned above. How he does that is beyond me. It seems like it would generate tremendous tension.

But the term "reamer" gives me pause. Perhaps, as small a job as this is, I'll have a shop tech do it.

Thanks! I work at a zoo, so no ivory for me (or tortoise shell picks)

Purdy Bear

Post by Purdy Bear » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:33 pm

[quote="Tonyyyyy"][quote="Purdy Bear"]Here's a very simple strap solution, it's basically a large loop that the guitar sits in:

I purchased some 10 cm woven ribbon (3 meters) which came today. It's very much like a pink medieval design, so will look great with the classical guitar. Anyway I've measured it, turned in the ends twice for a nice seam and added a wide Velcro to each side. It means if/when I see a teacher I can adjust the height of the guitar just in case I get it wrong on my own.

For the ribbon I probably only needed 2 meters, but that would change for the neck to waist length for the individual person, I'm a 5Ft 3, so someone taller would need more ribbon. Oh for the guys webbing would work as well, and the clips can be brought pretty cheaply as well. A camera strap may work if it's long enough.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”