Started using a sock on my arm

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
markodarko

Started using a sock on my arm

Post by markodarko » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:42 am

I'm not sure whether it's the heat here at the moment (I'm surprised no one from the UK has complained about it yet, you're all showing remarkable restrain I must say) or because I've never had a French polished guitar before or a combination of both, but as I generally wear short sleeved t-shirts I'm finding that my arm is "sticking" to the top.

So, I tried what many of you have recommended which is to cut the toes off of a sock (not whilst wearing it) and wearing it on my forearm and I must say that it works like a charm! So much easier to move my right arm now (that's the left to you, Mr. Pat).

I did find that it was a little bit on the tight side though - as though my tendons were a little restricted, but maybe that's in my mind.

Anyway, does the cotton cause any adverse effect to the French polish over time?
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

twisterguitar

Re: Started using a sock on my arm

Post by twisterguitar » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:45 am

I can't sleep right now Marko, too warm. I am just here sipping from my beer trying to cool down. I use a sock as well sometimes, but I don't care about the French polish :p but hey, why would using a sock be different from when playing with a long sleeve shirt?

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:49 am

twisterguitar wrote:I can't sleep right now Marko, too warm.
Well now, Mr. Twist, I bought something today which may very well interest you. I'm just writing a post about it. Watch this space...! :-D

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:19 am

Here you go Mr. Twisty... The solution to all your heat problems!:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=96950

JohnNguyen

Post by JohnNguyen » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:28 am

markodarko wrote: Anyway, does the cotton cause any adverse effect to the French polish over time?
Not that I can tell! I used both old and new socks for a few years with no notable adverse effect on the French polish. The old sock didn't smell as nice, though :lol:

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:29 am

JohnNguyen wrote:The old sock didn't smell as nice, though :lol:
Ha ha. Well this is an old sock - although washed. ;-)

Glad to hear that there's no adverse effect. Thanks.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:41 am

Women's stockings work really well too and aren't as hot in the summer. I prefer to get the type without a closed toe That way there is a hem at the wrist side and cut a little long so I can fold the top part over a couple of times.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:33 pm

robin loops wrote:Women's stockings work really well too and aren't as hot in the summer.
...too... many... jokes...!

:mrgreen:

Seriously though - that's interesting because I take it they are nylon? Not that nylon should affect the finish anymore than cotton I guess, but as it is man-made... I take it you've had no problems in that regard, Mr. Robin?

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:15 pm

Sorry, I said stockings. I meant 'tights', which you can find in 100% cotton. Cotton is also better in that it breathes better than synthetics.

I have used synthetics from time to time (long sleeve shirts with cotton/polyester blend) and have not had issues but A: my Ramirez has a really hard finish and B: I don't worry about wear and tear on my guitars. I would advise anyone with a nice french polish they worry a lot about to not use any synthetics though as these can definitely dull a softer finish.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Aurore

Post by Aurore » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:06 pm

I personally prefer buying new socks, I choose the colour, fabric and the fabric has not lost its shape. I buy knee high so I have plenty to work with and cut above the heel, no weird shaping to it this way
if diameter is an issue, then you can buy in "plus" sizes or "medical" types for diabetics

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Aurore wrote:I buy knee high so I have plenty to work with and cut above the heel, no weird shaping to it this way
A lot of people use tube socks, as they have no heel.

And if you want to get fancy, they make "guitar sleeves" for your arm that are a little more elegant looking than socks.

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:19 am

Thanks for the replies. I've just ordered myself a nice pair of women's over-the-knee stripy cotton socks to brighten up my practice sessions...
Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 05.14.22.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:40 am

markodarko wrote:I've just ordered myself a nice pair of women's over-the-knee stripy cotton socks to brighten up my practice sessions...
Those socks remind me of the rainbow flag that's been adopted by a certain portion of the populous.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:51 am

JQ. wrote:
markodarko wrote:I've just ordered myself a nice pair of women's over-the-knee stripy cotton socks to brighten up my practice sessions...
Those socks remind me of the rainbow flag that's been adopted by a certain portion of the populous.
and/or years ago the Apple computers logo was multicolored apple...I remember when ca. 15 years ago Apple changed logo to white apple as it is up to now, there was Macuser's action: "Mr. Jobs, give us back our multicolored apple". And this Macuser's action had, if my memory serves me well, nothing in common with this "certain portion of the populous"
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:12 am

markodarko wrote: So, I tried what many of you have recommended which is to cut the toes off of a sock (not whilst wearing it) and wearing it on my forearm and I must say that it works like a charm! So much easier to move my right arm now (that's the left to you, Mr. Pat).

I did find that it was a little bit on the tight side though - as though my tendons were a little restricted, but maybe that's in my mind.
That's because you aren't doing it the right way, tRy this: go jogging and wear it for a week. Don't wash it. Then rub some stilton cheese on it and then wear the sock on your forearm, you'll see your tendons will thank you :lol: :lol:

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”