Barre help? Angle of guitar neck relative to plane of shoulders?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
lanten77

Barre help? Angle of guitar neck relative to plane of shoulders?

Post by lanten77 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:51 am

Hi all,

I'm finding that angling the neck of the guitar back a little closer to my left shoulder makes it easier to hold difficult barres and with a more comfortable left wrist position. Also seems easier to have the "weight of the arm" assist backward helping to hold the barre with less effort.

I've seen pictures/instruction/performers with the neck parallel to the shoulders, angled back closer to left shoulder and also angled forward (farther away from the left shoulder).

(I'm assuming the body of the guitar is angled slightly upward, in any case).

Any thoughts for or against this slightly backward angle (toward left shoulder), in regard to barres (or other pros/cons) would be appreciated.

PS I've been playing for 20+ years and now at an high-intermediate / low-advanced level.

Thanks!
Bob

rapidExpansion

Re: Barre help? Angle of guitar neck relative to plane of shoulders?

Post by rapidExpansion » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi Bob
A while ago i found a video on youtube and i think you may be interesting for you. It is aimed towards beginners but i think wathing it is worth your time.

[media]https://youtu.be//watch?v=vzYfdYtoFf4[/media]

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:26 pm

I've noticed what you're talking about, but it seemed more dependent on where you're holding the barre. Down the neck, near the the headstock, it's like you say, easier with the neck in toward the shoulder. But up the neck, toward the soundhole it's the opposite, it works best with the neck away from the shoulder. Within reason of course.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

grojkind

Post by grojkind » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:01 pm

For me the more I can extend my elbow outwards the easier playing barres becomes, so it makes sense that the closer your guitar is to you the more range of movement you have with your elbow. I will be more conscientious towards this, thank you

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”