Do i have to Quit PC games if I want..

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
KillerAlpha

Do i have to Quit PC games if I want..

Post by KillerAlpha » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:16 pm

Do i have to quit PC games If I were to my guitar my major??

my future.Job?.. :?

guitarvirtouso

Post by guitarvirtouso » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:10 pm

Well....I would say that you probably wouldn't have to quit playing PC games as long as you study hard. Somtimes you have to take a break from studying... and relax....or atleast that's my opinion.

dlmoak

PC Games

Post by dlmoak » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:16 pm

If you are majoring in classical guitar you will typically need about 4 hours of practice a day to develop as you should. Your other studies will require additional time for study plus the actual time you spend in class. So if you are spending a great deal of time gaming at present you would probably have to substantially limit the amount of time you play, but not eliminate it completely.

charlesivey

Post by charlesivey » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:12 pm

Let's see...

I like to sleep at least 6 hours per day, and 7 is better -- so let's say 7.
Family matters, eating, bathing, taking care of normal life -- 8 hours/day.
Guitar Practice -- 4 to 5 hours per day -- say 4.
Delcamp moderating -- 1 to 2 hours per day.
Video games including XBox 360 -- 4 hours per day.
Windsurfing -- 4 to 6 hours per day, say 5 as a good average.
Movies, TV, relaxing -- about 7 hours per week or 1 hours per day.

That adds up to: 30 to 31 hours per day. So, going to school should be no problem, just add another 6 hours per day plus 4 hours for study and you should be about 40 hours per day, but you can usually count on only a half day of 20 hours on Saturday, and many places you can get Sunday off... unless you are studying Classical Guitar -- in which case you need to practice more on the weekends.

Go for it.
CI

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler" A. Einstein

sami007

Post by sami007 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:47 pm

:sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage: :sage:

Paul Heilker

Re: Do i have to Quit PC games if I want..

Post by Paul Heilker » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:47 pm

KillerAlpha wrote:Do i have to quit PC games If I were to my guitar my major??

my future.Job?.. :?
In addition to the time factor involved, which is considerable, I would also worry about repetitive-motion injuries, which are quite common with serious gamers.

There is only so much wear-and-tear we can do to our thumbs and wrists with game controllers before serious injury occurs. And once a soft tissue injury like tendonitis or carpal tunnel or anything similar gets started, it's permanent.

A cautionary tale: a good friend and amateur guitarist played "Guitar Hero" on PS2 so much his left hand went numb. The feeling returned about a week later. And that game has a guitar-shaped controller. I'm not about to take the risk, myself.

PH

firedoom

Post by firedoom » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:27 am

Time and injuries are legitimate concerns. However, I think it all comes to proper time managements and play habits. Just make sure you allocate enough time for guitar practice and other real life obligations and stick strictly to your schedules. You can avoid game-playing related injuries by taking breaks often and let your muscles/back have sufficient rests. Anyway, you may have to sacrifice some of your game-playing time. You may not be able to play as often as before, but that's the way life is.

John_in_CT

Post by John_in_CT » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:53 pm

I think if you need to ask this question that you probably spend way too much time playing PC games. As a former PC game addict, I would suggest you set strict limits on the time you spend on games. By this I mean if you plan to spend 30 minutes playing, make sure it stays 30 minutes and not 6 hours. Personally, I have given up gaming and replaced all that time with family and guitar time.

jacoinmalawi

Post by jacoinmalawi » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:45 am

the more you play, the better you'll get, and the more rewarding it will be. use your time wisely.

cheers
jaco

Vito Simplicio
Composer

Post by Vito Simplicio » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:24 pm

John_in_CT wrote:Personally, I have given up gaming and replaced all that time with family and guitar time.
Good advice from John. Someday when we are very old in our rocking chairs and are asked by one of our grandchildren, "Do you have any regrets?", I doubt that we'll say that we wished we could have played video games more. :sage: It is known, however, that people say that they wished that they would have spent more time with their family. :discussion: At 60, I already regret that I have not dedicated more time to playing CG. The good news, I'm making up for lost time and enjoy my CG immensely. :guitare:

Logan

Post by Logan » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:46 pm

You should not have to ever give up things that you enjoy (within reason) so no I don't think you should have to give up gaming but take a serious look at how it ranks on your lists on priority. If you are not willing to spend at least 4 hours a day on practice (quality practice not just plunking around) then don't bother majoring in guitar.
I always break my 4 hours a day into 4 45 min. segments and 1- 1 hour
segment there is no reason that you couldn't play a little bit in between rehearsals, however, The forever wise Charlesivey has also mentioned study time and time with freinds and family and on and on and on.
Make your choice wisely.

charlesivey

Post by charlesivey » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:47 pm

Wise words for our younger members... and for not a few of those of us that are old codgers. No one calls me up any more to go hit baseballs, nor practice touchdown passes, nor any of several pursuits of youth which caused knee surgeries or papering someone's yard. I cannot remember the last time I was asked to go crusing aroud in a car from one drive-in hot spot to the next. The last time I thought it might be a good idea to turn the car stero system up so the volume would shake the car next to me was during a particularly beautiful part of a Mozart Opera -- and even that was many years ago.

However, family, lifetime sports, guitar, knowlege, and service to others seems to be just as exciting and just as useful over an entire lifetime -- just like noticing a beautiful woman such as my wife.
CI

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler" A. Einstein

Amadis

Post by Amadis » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:28 am

you havent been asked to cruise the drive ins lately because, lately, all of the drive ins have been replaced by arcades--which have also mostly been replaced by laundromats or fast food restaurants. All of the ones around here at least.

I have some seriously large memory holes in my early teens because of that cursed playstation.

I've replaced that addiction with CG-- more painful, but also more productive.

tritone

Post by tritone » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:31 am

No, Pc games stimulate the brain wich is what you need to play guitar. Good luck.

Warp Speed Chewy!

Post by Warp Speed Chewy! » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:11 am

honestly... i think games help my eye/hand coordination and probably play a part in why i picked up guitar and why i AM a guitar major. i play video games all the time

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”