US $.3100 Rene Baarslaag Concert cedar 2000, Pittsburgh PA

petermc61

Re: US $.3100 Rene Baarslaag Concert cedar 2000, Pittsburgh PA

Post by petermc61 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:04 pm

The OP last visited Delcamp 8 July, before the PM was sent. Hence, Jabberwocky's email of 9 July has not yet been read. Patience is required. :-)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:31 pm

Well, there ya have it ;)

Thanks Peter!
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:37 pm

tateharmann wrote:Did the PM actually send or is it still sitting in the outbox? I've got a message that's been sitting in the outbox for months because the recipient is no longer signing into the forum :/
Well, blow me down, that is exactly what happened. My message is still sitting in the outbox. Guess the seller is no longer signing in.

jake39

Post by jake39 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:28 pm

This specific guitar seems to have changed hands and is now being sold for $7495 by a well known and respected dealer. I don't want to name names, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:51 pm

jake39 wrote:This specific guitar seems to have changed hands and is now being sold for $7495 by a well known and respected dealer. I don't want to name names, but it shouldn't be hard to find.
And so it has. Mystery solved. Could the moderator move it to the archives? The 2000 René Baarslag appears to have been sold or consigned to a dealer.

Shows you really, I don't know jake...
Last edited by Jabberwocky on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:52 pm

jake39 wrote:This specific guitar seems to have changed hands and is now being sold for $7495 by a well known and respected dealer. I don't want to name names, but it shouldn't be hard to find.
Of course, the owner who listed here could have listed with the dealer. Otherwise, it's somebody trying to flip it for a profit.

I'm aware of the phenomenon. I sold a Kenny Hill guitar where I had disclosed that my luthier could not get the truss rod to move. A guy gave me a sob story about needing the guitar, so after selling it for $500, he turned around and tried to flip it for $1000, without disclosing the flaw.

So it goes.

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Larry, you are a Noo Yawker. Surely you don't fall for sob stories? Are they getting soft in New York City these days? What has the world come to? What has the world come to?

I'm not against anyone making a profit but $2700 to $7495 is rather an incredible stretch. What's with the CSA Rosewood? Isn't it Brazilian?

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Not everyone in New York has a heart of stone, leading presidential candidate not withstanding. :-)

I knew this was a great deal, and if I hadn't already bought one made by the old man, Antonio Marin Montero, I would have grabbed this one. I love my cedar AMM, so I am not in the least bit unhappy.

I tried to get a number of my friends interested in this one to no avail. There really are great deals on here.

It's a free market economy, you can ask any price you want, it doesn't mean you'll get it.

jake39

Post by jake39 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:30 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:Larry, you are a Noo Yawker. Surely you don't fall for sob stories? Are they getting soft in New York City these days? What has the world come to? What has the world come to?

I'm not against anyone making a profit but $2700 to $7495 is rather an incredible stretch. What's with the CSA Rosewood? Isn't it Brazilian?
CSA is what some dealers and builders are calling BR now because of the Cities and Lacey acts. I believe it stands for Central South American.

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:31 pm

larryguitar wrote:Not everyone in New York has a heart of stone, leading presidential candidate not withstanding. :-)...
Your heart overruled your New York street smarts, Larry. You are getting sentimental with...age. :roll:
larryguitar wrote: It's a free market economy, you can ask any price you want, it doesn't mean you'll get it.
Sadly, I don't think it is going to make a reappearance here. Not at $2700. I like it for its big fat 15.5" bottom of whupass. Oh well, too late now.

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:38 pm

jake39 wrote:CSA is what some dealers and builders are calling BR now because of the Cities and Lacey acts. I believe it stands for Central South American.
I was told that dealers use CSA for a practical reason: when they are not really sure whether the wood is the stated Brazilian Rosewood or not. It is just to cover themselves. I note that the dealer used 'Brazilian Rosewood' in a Richard Bruné guitar description.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:
larryguitar wrote:Not everyone in New York has a heart of stone, leading presidential candidate not withstanding. :-)...
Your heart overruled your New York street smarts, Larry. You are getting sentimental with...age. :roll:
larryguitar wrote: It's a free market economy, you can ask any price you want, it doesn't mean you'll get it.
Sadly, I don't think it is going to make a reappearance here. Not at $2700. I like it for its big fat 15.5" bottom of whupass. Oh well, too late now.
Indeed, I suppose I am getting sentimental with age. Weary too.

I missed that 15.5" measurement! This thing must be quite a cannon. My AMM is only 14.5".

You won't be seeing this guitar round these parts again.

jake39

Post by jake39 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:50 pm

larryguitar wrote:
Of course, the owner who listed here could have listed with the dealer. Otherwise, it's somebody trying to flip it for a profit.

I'm aware of the phenomenon. I sold a Kenny Hill guitar where I had disclosed that my luthier could not get the truss rod to move. A guy gave me a sob story about needing the guitar, so after selling it for $500, he turned around and tried to flip it for $1000, without disclosing the flaw.

So it goes.
There is a steel string builder named James Olson who complained about this. He said he tried to keep his prices reasonable considering his reputation,
but he would build a guitar, ship it to the buyer then see it on the big auction site for a few grand more within a week. So he said screw it and jacked up his prices. I can't blame him.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:30 am

jake39 wrote:
larryguitar wrote:

So it goes.
There is a steel string builder named James Olson who complained about this. He said he tried to keep his prices reasonable considering his reputation,
but he would build a guitar, ship it to the buyer then see it on the big auction site for a few grand more within a week. So he said screw it and jacked up his prices. I can't blame him.
Yeah, all I know is that there is always someone willing to try to make something off of someone else's labor.

Of course, we all speculate in the hope that the object we bought today will be worth more in the future, but flipping a guitar within a week is abusive, in my opinion.

When I see something like a Sam Maloof rocking chair sell for $80k, I can't help but think that Sam probably sold it for $5k. None of that secondary market money ever makes it back to the builders, who are often living in penury. Hopefully, builders live long enough to see their reputations rise, along with their prices. Did Robert Bouchet ever make a decent living from guitar making?

jake39

Post by jake39 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:37 am

larryguitar wrote:
jake39 wrote:
larryguitar wrote:

So it goes.
Yeah, all I know is that there is always someone willing to try to make something off of someone else's labor.

Of course, we all speculate in the hope that the object we bought today will be worth more in the future, but flipping a guitar within a week is abusive, in my opinion.

When I see something like a Sam Maloof rocking chair sell for $80k, I can't help but think that Sam probably sold it for $5k. None of that secondary market money ever makes it back to the builders, who are often living in penury. Hopefully, builders live long enough to see their reputations rise, along with their prices. Did Robert Bouchet ever make a decent living from guitar making?
I don't know what kind of prices he got while building but he only turned out about 150 guitars in his whole lifetime so probably not.

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”