Tárrega, Francisco - Study in D Minor (over a fragment of Fossa) (S.E.M., Vol. I - #28)

Audio and video recordings of the works of Francisco Tárrega.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Tárrega, Francisco - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Tárrega, Francisco - Lágrima - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Jorge Oliveira

Tárrega, Francisco - Study in D Minor (over a fragment of Fossa) (S.E.M., Vol. I - #28)

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:14 pm

This is my rendition of Francisco Tárrega's Study over a fragment of Fossa, in D Minor, as presented in Tárrega, Obras Completas para Guitarra, Nueva Edicion Basada en sus Manuscritos y Ediciones Originales, Volumen I - 30 Estudios Originales para Guitarra (16 inéditos) (Grado Elemental), S.E.M. N.º 28, edited by Melchor Rodríguez and published by SONETO Ediciones Musicales, Madrid (I.S.B.N. 84-87969-00-3, Depósito legal: M.13.847-1991).

The tempo indicated in the score is Allegretto (1/4 = 98-109 bpm in Tempo, my metronome app). However, this is way too fast for me so I decided to play it at 1/4 = 70 bpm, which is within the Andante Moderato range (1/4 = 69-72 bpm). I could play it faster but let me stress the fact this piece is played all over the middle of the fretboard and requires some awkward positions of the RH - in truth, not that Elementary... :D

The record was produced with the Zoom Handy Recorder app on my iPhone, the sound capture being made by an iRig microphone that connects to the iPhone via an Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter. The guitar used was my Ryoji Matsuoka No. 50 (1976) fitted with Knobloch Actives Carbon CX, High Tension strings (3 months and 9 days old, and 51h of actual playing time). The resulting .wav file was then processed with the Audacity audio editor on Windows 10 to produce the .wma and .mp3 files below. Apart from cutting the beginning and end of the audio wave file and replacing some bad sections with better ones, no special effects were added during the recording and editing sessions.

Francisco Tárrega - Study (over a fragment of Fossa) (S.E.M., Vol I - #28).wma
Francisco Tárrega - Study (over a fragment of Fossa) (S.E.M., Vol. I - #28).mp3

Any comments are most welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/52, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1976 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.50, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

Jorge Oliveira

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Study in D Minor (over a fragment of Fossa) (S.E.M., Vol. I - #28)

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Fri May 10, 2019 5:08 pm

My rendition, in the post above of April 20th, of this small study of Tárrega was played straight and at constant speed throughout. However, as you can see in the picture below, Mr. Melchor Rodríguez, the editor of all these works of Tárrega published by SONETO, based, he says, on indisputable original editions and manuscrits, writes down a small note - "poco rit." - below m.9, meaning that one should apply a little bit of ritardando in this measure.

Tárrega study over Fossa, m.8.png

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure if this score note applies to the whole measure or just, say, the last half of it. Any way, I interpreted it as applying to the whole measure and the rendition below, a Variant, reflects that. Also at the end I took the liberty of taking some time before producing the last, finishing chord.

The tempo was upped a notch, from 1/4 = 70 bpm to 1/4 = 72 bpm. The guitar used was the same, my Matsuoka No. 50 (1972) and the recording gear was also the same as usual, an iRig microphone connected to my iPhone under control of the Zoom HandyRec. app.

Francisco Tárrega - Study in E Minor (over a fragment of Fossa) (SEM, Vol. I - #28) (Var.).wma
Francisco Tárrega - Study in E Minor (over a fragment of Fossa) (SEM, Vol. I - #28) (Var.).mp3
Francisco Tárrega - Study in E Minor (over a fragment of Fossa) (SEM, Vol. I - #28) (Var.).mp3

Which of these two interpretations do you prefer, or think is correct: the one in my post above, or the present variation? Please let me know... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/52, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1976 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.50, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

nico

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Study in D Minor (over a fragment of Fossa) (S.E.M., Vol. I - #28)

Post by nico » Fri May 17, 2019 5:21 pm

Hi Jorge, it's very nice the way you play this!
The first ritardando or ritenuto is done very sensitive, the last accord sounds just a little bit too late :wink: But you can choose to do that, it's a sudden change in the melodic line!
Hermanos Camps CL-20-S

Return to “Our recordings of Francisco Tárrega”